What's in your bag - illustrated edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Pics if you've got 'em!

bag1.jpg

In a pocket where I can reach them while awheel:
redacted.jpg

Ancient telecommunications device featuring Committee of Ways and Means as screensaver. A newer, much sexier model is on order. (Phone, not Committee.) Recorder with two world-changing ideas I had which were later erased by accident; sadly I can't remember what they were now. Out of shot is a square of cloth which can be used to mop up excess sweat but whose primary purpose is keeping the phone & recorder from rattling against each other and driving me crazy even when I can't hear them – see below.

Other pocket:
bag5.jpg

Spare tube because I'd rather not patch on the road. C02 because I'd rather not pump on the road. Patches to satisfy the belt-and-braces brigade. 15mm wrench for when bag is on nutted-axle bike. Obligatory multi-tool. Gloves in case I need to get really down and dirty. Spare baggies because I hate wearing rubber gloves and can use one to reseat a chain if necessary, or store half-eaten food or a million other things.

Main compartment
bag6.jpg

Mesh pocket underneath the top:
bag7.jpg

The map is in case I ever have to go on the lam or to Eastbourne. Plastic wallet contains ccard & money for emergency purchases such as 7up (still the uncola, at least in my heart). Connex used to be the rail company which serviced my public transport corridor before they got kicked out for being too dire.

bag8.jpg

Another spare tube, because when I get a puncture and use the other spare there's always the terrible possibility that I'll get another puncture and have to resort to patches. Tyre levers in case I lose my touch at manhandling them off. Lezyne light. Pump which I always promise myself I'll use instead of C02. Yet more paraphernalia which suggests I have an obsession with keeping my hands clean. Also not one but two spare earphones for my iPod – a testament to planned obsolescence as well as my horror at the thought of listening to the birds sing.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
20150415_204843-jpg.85788.jpg

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Pics if you've got 'em!

View attachment 90413

In a pocket where I can reach them while awheel:
View attachment 90414

Ancient telecommunications device featuring Committee of Ways and Means as screensaver. A newer, much sexier model is on order. (Phone, not Committee.) Recorder with two world-changing ideas I had which were later erased by accident; sadly I can't remember what they were now. Out of shot is a square of cloth which can be used to mop up excess sweat but whose primary purpose is keeping the phone & recorder from rattling against each other and driving me crazy even when I can't hear them – see below.

Other pocket:
View attachment 90415

Spare tube because I'd rather not patch on the road. C02 because I'd rather not pump on the road. Patches to satisfy the belt-and-braces brigade. 15mm wrench for when bag is on nutted-axle bike. Obligatory multi-tool. Gloves in case I need to get really down and dirty. Spare baggies because I hate wearing rubber gloves and can use one to reseat a chain if necessary, or store half-eaten food or a million other things.

Main compartment
View attachment 90417

Mesh pocket underneath the top:
View attachment 90418

The map is in case I ever have to go on the lam or to Eastbourne. Plastic wallet contains ccard & money for emergency purchases such as 7up (still the uncola, at least in my heart). Connex used to be the rail company which serviced my public transport corridor before they got kicked out for being too dire.

View attachment 90419

Another spare tube, because when I get a puncture and use the other spare there's always the terrible possibility that I'll get another puncture and have to resort to patches. Tyre levers in case I lose my touch at manhandling them off. Lezyne light. Pump which I always promise myself I'll use instead of C02. Yet more paraphernalia which suggests I have an obsession with keeping my hands clean. Also not one but two spare earphones for my iPod – a testament to planned obsolescence as well as my horror at the thought of listening to the birds sing.
Crickey, how much does that lot weigh? Just couldn't face lugging that lot around, slow me down too much!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm afraid to know! [Goes and weighs it anyway]

View attachment 90512
1564 grams. Which is a few hundred grams heavier than the frame it usually sits on. As it is a truism that the bigger the bag the more you'll carry, once I found and favoured this saddlebag I was essentially powerless to do anything but fill it.
Interesting, here's mine,
image.jpg

Just a basic kit really, and my iPhone, which I use for strava amongst other things, no garmin.
700g. Surprising what you got in yours and the bigger bag to start with for not a lot of extra weight.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Surprising what you got in yours and the bigger bag to start with for not a lot of extra weight.
Well, it is mostly filled with sandwich bags...

That's the 2nd chainlink tool on this thread so far. Question: to what extent are people's choices about what to carry informed by their experiences? For example, I've never had a chain fail, even on long tours, so I don't carry one despite knowing that just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. When using much smaller saddlebags than I've availed myself of, there must be some agonising over what tools to leave out.

sinktool.gif

one for @Mrs M
carrot-tool.gif

I just let 'em jingle
Like this guy

74.jpg

photo - Sue Darlow

who probably hears a bit of rustling, but just gets on with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom