What's in your bag - illustrated edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Thanks for this thread, Sam. I hadn't really thought about the amount of crap I carry with me but have never used.

tools.jpg

For my geared bikes:
Two inner tubes....Puncture repair kit....Multi-tool....Pliers....Spare brake and gear cables....Roll of tape....Spoke key, with spare chain master link attached....House and bike-lock keys, with spare chain master link attached....Chain tool with two spare chain master links taped to handle.

I hadn't realised my paranoia about chain failure. I have only ever had a chain snap once, and that was entirely my fault as it was on my winter bike and should have been replaced several hundred miles sooner.
I've never used the pliers, cables or the spoke key on a ride; They just seemed like things that might have come in handy.

For my fixed wheel bike I have a similar bag, packed with similar tools but with the addition of a 15mm wheel-nut spanner, a lockring spanner and a spare sprocket. The last two are completely pointless as I'd never need to change sprockets mid-ride, and have a flip-flop hub anyway.
To my credit I have omitted the spare gear cable from my fixed-wheel tools, and only have two spare 1/8th-inch master chain links, which saves me maybe as much as 50g!

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I like the spare link on the keyring (though see above for the importance of keeping that bundle of jittery metal from rattling); and I'm a big fan of D-clips, even though I'm not sure if I've ever actually used one for anything other than clipping to another one.

Dring.jpg

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
More master links! I do like a good chain reunion, and it beats dental floss or whatever resourceful people use in a pinch. A few items in the middle I'm not positive what they are. Am still awaiting the bag that's packed with enough potentially useful stuff to do an Apollo 13 -type repair, though you might be able to make a respectable go of it.

apollo13.jpg

Also @Arthur – you're going to want to put that roll of tape gathering lint in one of these

baggies.gif

(they don't have to be pleated, this isn't a spring formal)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine would be a disappointing picture. So are tube, levers, pump, topeak 9 mini tool. That's it. a longer ride ill add spare links and a chain link tool.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That's the 2nd chainlink tool on this thread so far. Question: to what extent are people's choices about what to carry informed by their experiences?
I've used the chaintool on my Topeak Hexus once (my own fault, mind, as I'd threaded the chain through the rear derailleur wrongly, and not noticed until I was underway). It also has a Torx tool on it which I've never used, ever.

The bike with the kit on that includes that tool is the one I often use for guided, new cyclist rides with the bike group at work though, and my commute, so there's also an element of wanting to be prepared for things that might happen to other people as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Mine would be a disappointing picture. So are tube, levers, pump, topeak 9 mini tool. That's it. a longer ride ill add spare links and a chain link tool.
There are no disappointing pictures, only disappointing non-pictures. Still, we have another chain link tool to add to the list, and your Topeak 9 mini is another data point.

multifool.jpg

...there's also an element of wanting to be prepared for things that might happen to other people as well.
You almost make me ashamed of my plan to sell my spare tube to the next cyclist I pass on the side of the road who needs help.

swansonj

Guru
contents-of-bag.jpg

A: lightweight waterproof. Well, obviously, if the weather looks at all dubious, I’ll have a proper waterproof as well, but it’s always nice to be equipped for emergencies.

B: pair of army surplus, arctic winter mittens. ‘Cos you can never be too sure about British weather.

C: pair of thin lightweight wool gloves to wear inside B. Just in case.

D: thin silk balaclava. ‘Cos these June mornings can be a bit chilly you know.

E: second spare inner tube. ‘Cos even with Marathon Plus you can’t be too careful.

F: disposable surgical gloves for keeping hands clean when doing repairs. Which I have never actually worn ‘cos they’re in an inside packet of the pannier and it’s too much faff to get them out, and anyway, they’re clean and it seems a shame to get them dirty.

G: spare batteries. ‘Cos even though it’s summer and I’ve taken the lights off my bike for my commutes, it would obviously be irresponsible not have spare batteries.

H: spare tube for alternative wheel sizes, ‘cos it’s easier than changing which tube to take when you change bikes. Actually, I was sure this was a Brompton one, but it turns out to be a 700C for the tandem, so lucky I haven’t had a puncture while riding the Brompton recently…

I: patches for inner tubes. Just one or two. Because thirty years ago I ran out of patches on an unlucky tour and swore to myself, never again…

J: two tubes of rubber solution. So that when I discover one has dried out, I can resort to the other one, before finding that is dried out too.

K: assorted ball bearings (random, unmatched sizes, and too few to do a whole bearing) and a tube of grease. Because, to be fair, thirty years ago, you did occasionally find yourself repacking bearings. Why, a mate of mine had his bearing come apart climbing an alpine pass and had to repack it using shaving cream, and you wouldn’t want that to happen, now, would you…

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
There's something very therapeutic about reorganising ones pack, bit like when I used to do the same thing with my very messy fishing tackle box, or my garage.............actually I take that back the garage is one never ending bomb site that refuses to be tidy.......ever, and is not in the slightest bit therapeutic when I have to attempt a tidy up.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You almost make me ashamed of my plan to sell my spare tube to the next cyclist I pass on the side of the road who needs help.
Ha! I don't know if my route is unusual, but I can stop to take my jacket off, and have three people slow and ask if I've had a mechanical I need help with before I get underway again :smile:

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
K: assorted ball bearings...

houston.jpg

View attachment 90786 F: disposable surgical gloves for keeping hands clean when doing repairs. Which I have never actually worn ‘cos they’re in an inside packet of the pannier and it’s too much faff to get them out, and anyway, they’re clean and it seems a shame to get them dirty.
Excellent. And a cheerful daisy festooned dropcloth to effect repairs! Though @winjim's grid is more likely to be approved by Houston.

Plus I think your multitool is mating with another multitool.

@Justinslow, could @User9609's chainsaw possibly be a therapeutic tool?

I find this emphasis on road bike bags disturbing

Plus, it's in the garage and this one isn't.

_IMG7298.jpg

A few things would be added to that like a Trek type bar and some paper hankies and a waterproof, unless I was wearing it

Top Bottom