What's in your bag - illustrated edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
My saddle bag contents are limited compared to many on this thread, but seem adequate for day rides. Phone and keys go in my jersey pocket.

image.jpg

Bag, pump, tube, 2 x reuseable cable ties, tyre lever, chain link, Park patches and a mini tool (4/5/6 mm allen keys and a chain tool). Total weight is 377g.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
There's nothing lonelier than a single tyre lever. Even your cable ties have company.
I find this emphasis on road bike bags disturbing
If you've brought at least one change of contact lenses this looks like more than a jolly afternoon ride offroad. I'd say you're headed to uncharted territory because you've also brought your compass, and you take hydration seriously. Don't know what's in the red pouch (mini flare gun?) but you've wisely packed Lezyne branded antimalarials. Is it safe to say you may be some time?
[Dogtrousers has] the same tiles as my conservatory.
Hang on, you're not hiding in my conservatory are you?
Discovered near @User9609's house:
tilefragment.gif

Police can't quite piece together the series of events that led to what may or may not be a tragedy, and are appealing for witnesses.

If you've brought at least one change of contact lenses this looks like more than a jolly afternoon ride offroad. I'd say you're headed to uncharted territory because you've also brought your compass, and you take hydration seriously. Don't know what's in the red pouch (mini flare gun?) but you've wisely packed Lezyne branded antimalarials. Is it safe to say you may be some time?
Ah yes, the red thing. It helps if you turn things the right way up, it's a mini first aid kit. It's a bag for all eventualities, in fact I could with a smaller one for the mostly smaller jaunts I do but the intention is there. I'm surprised you never mentioned the whisk hiding in the bladder. It's purpose you'll have to guess.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm surprised by the lack of Carradice,

carradice.gif

that mainstay of audaxers and others who appreciate a good tightly woven cotton duck. Not yet outsourced – in fact proudly signed by the Lancashire lass who handcrafted it

insidebag.jpg

Having briefly alighted upon coupling links upthread, I was in a receptive mood to be thrilled to open a Cotswold Outdoor catalogue the other day and come across this:

clamps.jpg

A whole new world opened up! I'm no Danny MacAskill, preferring my bikes on smooth tarmac. However, to round out my skillset I might be persuaded to take up rock climbing, preferably with a good teacher like this guy from Cliffhanger:

rocky2.jpg
< not my photoshopping

Can't help but think that a good karabiner might have helped prevent the tragedy portrayed in the opening scene

binky.jpg

binkyfall.jpg

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IMAG0171_zpspu1v1hvk.jpg

Doesn't show clearly but it's about £3 in emergency change at the top right. of the picture.
Pencil and piece of paper since I was knocked of my bike and realised I had nothing to record details of the guy who hit me.

Gloves, pumcture repair kit, cable ties etc, all fit into an Aldi punture repair box. Jelly babies into a freezer bag and money in a bank bag.
IMAG0173_zpsxdlcaxza.jpg

Phone, c/card and a tenner in the pocket in the door flap, leaves spare storage space.
IMAG0174_zpsnjxp6o1r.jpg

IMAG0175_zpsovgdkk95.jpg

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Are those rations replenished regularly, or will you be requiring that blade to cut through aged Snickers and decapitate the Haribo quartet?

For those of us packing latex gloves, there appears to be a slight preference for blue so far.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Point of confectionary-based pedantry:

That appears to be a Rowntree quartet, not Haribo.

They are in fact Bassets. ^_^ Nearly bought the Aldi lookalikes, but heart over ruled wallet.
The four you can see have been there for some time as I have managed to resist eating the ones carried on my bike. Sadly I cannot say the same for their brothers and sisters who thought life was better in the packet kept by my bike stuff. For some reason I seem to require a sugar hit when cleaning my road bike.:giggle:

The blade shouldn't really be in the bag now, but as is the way with these things sometimes, it only occured to me when I put everything back in the bag.:rolleyes: The second multitool is a pair of pliers with among other things, a blade in one of the handles.

Mandragora

They are in fact Bassets. ^_^ Nearly bought the Aldi lookalikes, but heart over ruled wallet.
The four you can see have been there for some time as I have managed to resist eating the ones carried on my bike. Sadly I cannot say the same for their brothers and sisters who thought life was better in the packet kept by my bike stuff. For some reason I seem to require a sugar hit when cleaning my road bike.:giggle:

*Cycling Philistine Alert*
157.JPG

As you can see, I travel light, and try to limit myself to my emergency repair kit (aka mobile phone for the 'Hiiiiii.......can yoooooouuuu come and get me? I think I've got a puncture. There's a pub/bar/supermarket that sells wine here and I'll buy you a drink if you'll coooooommmmme.... Please???' phone call). There's also a tenner inside the phone wallet, so I can make good my promise; reading glasses so I can find the right phone number, and the tissues are for those emergencies that I am happy to deal with by myself - hurty finger; bramble scratch etc.

However, jelly babies also feature as part of the supplies on longer rides. There's not a lot of room for them in my 'bag', and I want them where I can get at them easily, so they get popped into the top of my sports bra where they either die a quick death from asphyxiation or have a lingering but happy end, depending on how you look at it. Either way, they wouldn't survive long enough to feature in any photos.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Travel light and carry the right phone number. I like it.
jelly babies also feature as part of the supplies on longer rides
"You're not going out with those," said mother. The racy top and figure hugging lycra were fine; it was the Aldi jelly babies snuggling in my décolletage she objected to. "No daughter of mine leaves this house with anything but Bassetts."

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
IMAG0171_zpspu1v1hvk.jpg

Doesn't show clearly but it's about £3 in emergency change at the top right. of the picture.
Pencil and piece of paper since I was knocked of my bike and realised I had nothing to record details of the guy who hit me.

Gloves, pumcture repair kit, cable ties etc, all fit into an Aldi punture repair box. Jelly babies into a freezer bag and money in a bank bag.
IMAG0173_zpsxdlcaxza.jpg

Phone, c/card and a tenner in the pocket in the door flap, leaves spare storage space.
IMAG0174_zpsnjxp6o1r.jpg

IMAG0175_zpsovgdkk95.jpg

Oxygen for high altitude cycling in S Lancashire?

I can't bring myself to carry change in my pockets....every gram counts. My heart sinks if I have to break into my emergency tenner on a ride and I get a load of pound coins in change

Bazzer

Oxygen for high altitude cycling in S Lancashire?

I can't bring myself to carry change in my pockets....every gram counts. My heart sinks if I have to break into my emergency tenner on a ride and I get a load of pound coins in change

^_^
I'll have you know I live 15m above sea level. ^_^
I miss the hills of Marple Bridge and Todmorden where I lived previously, but circumstances are the great dictator....
One benefit is however I do have a choice of cycling. East/West flat. South rolling hills. North lumpy. And the lumps and bumps of the sheep countryside of Macc/Buxton and Glossop are not too far away. Which is why I appreciated your post about the Snake Pass. :okay:

TBH most of the time I forget the change is in the bag. But it has bailed me out a couple of times. Whether on an unexpected stop or finding Mrs B has been their before me, :biggrin:

Top Bottom