What's my noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Maybe your dinger has come away from it's mechanism and rattling around inside your bell housing.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was pretty surprised when I discovered what the problem was. It make sense now I think of it, but I was surprised at how loud the noise was.

I have ignored noises from my bikes in the past and had serious, potentially very dangerous failures so I don't ignore them any more.

QR skewer, the lever bit, pointing forward, or at some angle such that it makes a flute-like noise at certain speeds above 30kph?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mistakenly fitted disk wheels to a rim brake bike and the rotors are rubbing on the forks?
I may be thick, but I'm not stupid! :laugh:

QR skewer, the lever bit, pointing forward, or at some angle such that it makes a flute-like noise at certain speeds above 30kph?
It wasn't a nice flute-like noise - it was a 'hornet from hell' noise!

Okay, near enough ... The BIG REVEAL!

The gear cable end cap on your front derailleur had come off, the frayed ends were rubbing somewhere?

Has anyone mentioned a bare cable vibrating like a violin string?

Thats what I was thinking.

The Screecher.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I was getting irritated by the end of the front derailleur cable catching my leg when the mech was shifted to drop the chain down to the little ('grovelling') ring. So, I bent the cable in a bit. I actually made sure that it did NOT contact the tyre the way it is above when the bike is on the big chainring.

What I had not realised was that I have the front mech end stop such that I can slightly over-shift. I subconsciously push the Ergopower lever a bit beyond its click stop to speed up the shift. Sometimes, the lever does not fully return to the click stop and that subtle extra movement is enough to get the cable cap to touch the tyre as shown above. The tyre was acting like a violin bow and the little bit of cable was acting like a screechy violin string!

I can't believe how loud the thing sounded. Even with wind noise in my ears and poor hearing, it was very disturbing.

Anyway, mystery solved! I might adjust the end stop in a smidge, but I think I set it like that because the chain was reluctant to go up onto the big ring. Obviously, I have now bent the cable so that it can never touch the tyre OR my leg!

Last edited:
Top Bottom