What's my noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Metal embedded in the brake blocks...or rim?

Stone or something looped around the hub?

...Was it wet when you were riding? trapped water/rust?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was your clothing, in contact with a part of the bike, that made the noise?
It was no part of me, or my clothing that made the noise!

Metal embedded in the brake blocks...or rim?

Stone or something looped around the hub?

...Was it wet when you were riding? trapped water/rust?
Not caused by anything trapped. Nothing looped round hub. Dry conditions.

gbb

Legendary Member
Dry seal that protects the hub bearings ?
Have you got a pie plate fitted ? It wasn't that loud but my wifes bike developed a squeak/squeal only when she was sitting on it and moving. Spoke flex caused rubbing on the pie plate and so caused the noise. Took me ages to figure that one out.
Slack cables anywhere fouling ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Dry seal that protects the hub bearings ?
Have you got a pie plate fitted ? It wasn't that loud but my wifes bike developed a squeak/squeal only when she was sitting on it and moving. Spoke flex caused rubbing on the pie plate and so caused the noise. Took me ages to figure that one out.
Slack cables anywhere fouling ?
The dry seal on my front wheel was my first suspect! In fact, I actually sprayed a drink over it mid-ride the first time the noise appeared to see if the liquid 'lubed' the problem away. I thought that it had fixed it, but it turns out that the noise is intermittent. I now know why, but I didn't then.

No 'pie plate'.

No slack cables fouling.

Rowano

I'm going to say the skewer on the quick release. I had one on the rear of a giant that was very slightly bent and rubbed causing a squealing noise. Grease sorted out for s very short time until it wore the grease away - this could explain why it seemed to go quiet when you pourer drink on it...

Domus

Guru
Foreign body in pedal.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My first guess was that the bike has always made the noise and @ColinJ has recently put new batteries in his hearing aid. But that's probably not it.

If the noise is new, it means that something has changed. Is it going to give the game away if I ask what's just been adjusted/fixed/replaced?
My hearing isn't brilliant so at times I could do with a bit of help, but I don't have a hearing aid yet! The bike has never made the noise before.

Something had changed to create the problem ...

I'm going to say the skewer on the quick release. I had one on the rear of a giant that was very slightly bent and rubbed causing a squealing noise. Grease sorted out for s very short time until it wore the grease away - this could explain why it seemed to go quiet when you pourer drink on it...
The drink 'lube' was a case of wishful thinking! Now that I know what the problem was, I know why the drink apparently fixed the problem. It hadn't - it was fixed a different way just after I poured the drink on the hub.

Foreign body in pedal.
Nope. I have had a separate problem with squeaky pedals/shoes/cleats recently but that didn't cause this noise. (The squeaks were greatly reduced by cleaning and lubing the SPD pedals.)

A small gap betweeen a cable housing and the frame allowing a small amount of air past setting up a whistling type noise?
Interesting idea, but no.

Was there any other form of play in the wheel? I'm thinking radially. One or two disintegrated ball bearings within a cup and cone hub might allow radial, but not lateral, play and that might whine. Not exactly probable ....
Nope, no problem there.

I will eventually volunteer some extra information if you lot run out of ideas.

it was fixed a different way just after I poured the drink on the hu
Hmmm - something to do with a bottle cage perhaps. Errr.... slightly loose bottle cage, though I'd have imagined rattling at 30kph, not whining.
EDIT: Or, the bottle itself. Loose top on the bottle, vibrates with high wind speed producing horrible screeching sound.
EDIT 2: no, that last doesn't work since it was three rides. Back to the bottle cage idea then ...?

Top Bottom