What's my noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmmm - something to do with a bottle cage perhaps. Errr.... slightly loose bottle cage, though I'd have imagined rattling at 30kph, not whining.
The only relevance of me squirting some drink on the hub was when I did it, not the fact that I did it. The noise would have gone away without me squirting the drink at all. Forget the drink! As for the cages that the bottles go in - forget them too - the mention of bottle cages in your post is a distraction ... :whistle:

You changed your saddle angle or height.
I can't change the saddle height because I stupidly did not put anti-seize paste on my titanium seatpost before inserting it in my aluminium frame so the inevitable, er, inevitably happened! Fortunately, the height is pretty much what I wanted so I can live with it being stuck there.

I have recently adjusted the angle and setback of the saddle but I can't think of any reason why either of those would make my bike noisy! (No, neither of those changes is the culprit.)

U

User6179

Was there something inside the rim of your wheel, water maybe ?

Brandane

Legendary Member
It happened when I was riding quite quickly, at speeds in excess of 30 kph (19 mph)

Hint: I have already supplied you a subtle clue! :okay:

The hint was the speed factor. I reckon you are using one of those 70's Veglia speedometers like the one I got for my 8th birthday (and loved it, despite the fact the needle waved about so much that you had no idea whether you were doing 5 or 25 mph). The speedometer drive went on the axle, driven by a constantly rotating arm pushed by the spokes. To get to the point - your speedo drive has finally given up after 45 years and is screeching. I'll PM you my address to send the prize.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well then, this makes me think water bottle!
You have a new water bottle, the top of it somehow whistles ....
You got the wrong idea about the right post!

The hint was the speed factor. I reckon you are using one of those 70's Veglia speedometers like the one I got for my 8th birthday (and loved it, despite the fact the needle waved about so much that you had no idea whether you were doing 5 or 25 mph). The speedometer drive went on the axle, driven by a constantly rotating arm pushed by the spokes. To get to the point - your speedo drive has finally given up after 45 years and is screeching. I'll PM you my address to send the prize.
Ha ha - you have correctly worked out what the hint was, but your deduction about the speedo was incorrect - I am a devout GPS user!

Right, knowing that the speed is a factor should aim your thoughts in the right direction...

You've not got round to acquiring a new bar bag of some kind for your camera have you, and that's whining above 30kph?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hmmm - something to do with a bottle cage perhaps. Errr.... slightly loose bottle cage, though I'd have imagined rattling at 30kph, not whining.
EDIT: Or, the bottle itself. Loose top on the bottle, vibrates with high wind speed producing horrible screeching sound.
EDIT 2: no, that last doesn't work since it was three rides. Back to the bottle cage idea then ...?
Has this been discounted? I have had bottle cages break subtly, and cause rattles and unexpected sounds. Screeching a possibility.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The headset is a little loose and when you go fast the front wheel is rubbing on the downtube.
We've already done the headset! Nope.

Nothing was loose.

Has this been discounted? I have had bottle cages break subtly, and cause rattles and unexpected sounds. Screeching a possibility.
Go back and check, lazybones! :laugh:

I've had a cage break in the past. Nope, nothing was broken either.

Top Bottom