What's my noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wheel deflecting under load and brake rubbing.
Wheels nice and solid, no obvious lateral movement of the rims. Both brakes adjusted with a few mm of clearance either side of their respective rims.

Something caught around the wheel axle... Bit of string?
Nope. I did wonder if there might be something in the hub area which shouldn't be there, but no.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You are all following my original line of thinking. I ended up completely baffled until a moment of insight which led to the solution! Anyway, I won't spoonfeed you that insight, you have to ask the question which will lead to me finally revealing it ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You'd lost a bung out the end of your bars.
That's an interesting one - wind blowing across the unbunged end like the noise made by blowing across the neck of a bottle ... I like that idea, but no.

Was it a part of the bike, or an accessory or a foreign object?
I think that's a reasonable question, so I'll answer that - it was part of the bike; I won't tell you what part though!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How thrilling @ColinJ!
Don't tell us just yet, I'm having a think ... might take some time :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You were riding a tandem, and the screechy whiney noise was your passenger telling you that you’re going too fast
Not a tandem, and no passengers either. Nor was it in my imagination, or my own fear at excessive speed!

How thrilling @ColinJ!
Don't tell us just yet, I'm having a think ... might take some time :laugh:
I suspect at some point somebody will ask the right question and that will lead to a rapid conclusion.

Something spoke related?
NOT spoke related.

Pet Hamster in the Bidon.
No animals were involved in the production of this noise. A tiny weasal did run across the road in front of me the other day, but it was unharmed and silent!

Skewer rubbing a distorted axle.
I did wonder about skewers. I wasn't sure if there is any movement of hub parts against skewers - if so then they would need to be lubed and I don't usually bother doing that. I thought probably not though, and that was not the source of the troublesome sound.

Top Bottom