Whats my single speed worth? Sub 14lbs

Whats it worth?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kitkaye

Hi All,

I'm in a situation where i have to sell some things during a house move.. Last year i got a bit obsessed with building a light bike but i think its one of the things that needs to go now sadly.
I'm hoping one of you can help me value it.

Image links at the bottom

The bike is a matte black full carbon single speed racer built on a Felt carbon FC frame (never sold as far as i know, but built only for the race team so only a few should exist ) with Starley carbon deep rim wheels. Rest listed below:

Total weight 6.3 KG / 13.8lbs
  • Felt fc frame - carbon
  • Starley Wheels - Carbon - Tubular
  • Novatech Ultra light flip flop rear and large flange front
  • Campagnolo record crank set and BB - Black finish
  • Campagnolo record chain
  • Campagnolo rear break - Black Finish
  • Titanium / Magnesium pedals (45g each)
  • Halo Clickster single speed cassette
  • Unbranded stem - carbon
  • Unbranded seat - carbon
  • Planet x Track forks - Full carbon
  • Unbranded stem - carbon/aluminium
  • Other bits
Would be great to have some opinions.

Here are a few pictures
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pqj4idimp7iy9dr/AABawbcq3-0F5Aqq9cxoV1O2a?dl=0

20170331_122940.jpg
20170331_123051.jpg
20170331_123044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

kitkaye

Any help here?

davidphilips

Veteran
What did you pay for it? that should be a good reference for present value? If bought new then appox %50 of what you paid, if bought second hand then as near to what you paid as offered by a buyer.

S-Express

Impossible for anyone to say what it might be worth, because it's a self-build - so no known benchmarks for pricing. Doesn't qualify as a track bike and will only appeal to a niche road audience, so my guess is that its true value is probably less than you are hoping.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yeah, it's worth what the market will pay...and I'm not a buyer I'm afraid.

Nice looking bike.

Sharky

Guru
No front brake? Not very safe to ride on the road?

Rapples

Guru
Impossible for anyone to say what it might be worth, because it's a self-build - so no known benchmarks for pricing. Doesn't qualify as a track bike and will only appeal to a niche road audience, so my guess is that its true value is probably less than you are hoping.
Yep.

I'd sell something else, you won't get anywhere near what it cost.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

OP
OP
K

kitkaye

The frame is a 58/59.
The issue is that as its a self build, i got hold of most of the parts at very low cost over about a year..
Think the whole build only cost me around £250
I agree that a front break would have been nice, but it keeps weight down and has not yet caused any issues whilst road cycling.

Would it be best to break the bike down and sell for parts? I would be slightly reluctant however to destroy such a nice and light bike.

broady

Veteran
I'm pretty sure it's worth a lot more in parts.
I definitely wouldn't sell it with pedals on (also reduces the weight) as they don't add much more value than a standard set.
The wheels would be better off sold separately too if you have a cheap set to put on it.
Put it up for sale and see

Alan O

Über Member
No front brake? Not very safe to ride on the road?
I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but doesn't that make it illegal to ride on the road in the UK? As far as I know, there must be a stopping mechanism on each wheel (with pedal control on a fixed-wheel bike acceptable for the rear wheel).

Tin Pot

Guru
I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but doesn't that make it illegal to ride on the road in the UK? As far as I know, there must be a stopping mechanism on each wheel (with pedal control on a fixed-wheel bike acceptable for the rear wheel).

So what?

It's not like people get arrested for cycling on illegal bikes.

Top Bottom