What's on at the cinema?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
SamNichols said:
...don't see it as a film...series of Caprices ...not Dylan himself...don't expect coherent film...different version...slightly annoying ...

Thanks, Sam. Sounds super. Hope it comes here soon. Forgive me the editing.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Although its US biased I usually look at http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/ before I waste an evening

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
The Savages, good and in a similar (but more cheerless vein) to Juno.
There Will Be Blood (comes out tomorrow, and is all set for Oscars), The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, and No Country For Old Men.
There you go, a few recommendations for you.

I didn't realise they all come out tomorrow. Looks like i've picked a good weekend to go!! Thanks!

SamNichols

Cathryn said:
I didn't realise they all come out tomorrow. Looks like i've picked a good weekend to go!! Thanks!

Oh sorry, only There Will be Blood comes out tomorrow, Savages came out a fortnight ago, Diving Bell didn't have a release date per se as European Films tend to appear in cinemas at widely diverging times, and No Country has been out for a few weeks.
I recommend Savages highly, it's an American indie film without the whimsy that seems to dog the genre. Juno was a very well-worked example of the 'Whimsy Film' (I've just made up the term), it uses obscure Indie music, an animated scene and a very strange script (can anyone be that witty) to develop an asthetic that people like Wes Anderson cultivate: it's all a bit of a box-ticking enterprise, following on from films such as Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite, I Heart Huckabees. It's one of the better examples of this field, and I enjoyed it so much that I saw it twice, but I'm shocked that they genuinely nominated it for an Oscar for Best Film. Savages avoids that, preferring to have at least a modicum of social realism, but still with that wit which is unavoidable. Over recent years Philip Seymour Hoffman has seemed to grab a very high reputation as one of Hollywood's leading character actors, and he follows it with fine effect here. Can a man make a film? I don't know, but PSH tries valiantly every time. If you liked Juno, then see this, a film which is like an older sister to it. It avoids the youthful folly that shows Juno to be an immature film, and has a far more world-weary quality.

wafflycat

Cloverfield review thread here

Last night Mr Wafflycat took me to the cinema for a romantic chick-flick. He took me to see 'P.S. I Love You' Of course I spent much of the film being a total embarassment as I was trying to stop myself bawling my eyes out. Funny film but with lots of chick-flick weepy moments and I bawl at weepy moments - this is the woman who bawled her eyes out when Bambi's mother was shot and when Littlefoot's mum was killed by the sharptooth...and who cried solidly through the film when watching the original version of 'Madame X' and wept for half-an-hour afterwards. I am a softie... :smile::blush::wacko::blush:

Top Bottom