What's the catch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Back on topic, that PX Ultegra is £899. Take off £50? for the wheels, £300? for the groupset, £100 (probably a massive overestimation) for tubes, tyres, seatpost, saddle, stem, bars, tape, leaves £400. I reckon if they are paying £100 each for those frames they are getting them at a bad price. So around £300 margin on each bike, at a guess. That's not too bad.

U

User6179

Back on topic, that PX Ultegra is £899. Take off £50? for the wheels, £300? for the groupset, £100 (probably a massive overestimation) for tubes, tyres, seatpost, saddle, stem, bars, tape, leaves £400. I reckon if they are paying £100 each for those frames they are getting them at a bad price. So around £300 margin on each bike, at a guess. That's not too bad.

What about VAT ?

mustang1

Legendary Member
After years of buying at bikes at brick and mortar stores, my next purchase will probably be online. I know the size and other spaces I need. Planetx and others are very reputable brands and I wouldn't hesitate buying from them. If you're unsure about size then you might want to look elsewhere.

OP
OP
Tankengine

Tankengine

Two of my bikes are Planet X.
One TT bike and a road bike. Really good value for money IMHO. Both ridden regularly with no problems to date.
I've also bought a fair bit of cycling stuff from PX, and the service and delivery has always been first class.
As far as PX sizing goes I bought two medium sized bikes; I'm 5'11" and both are perfect.
They do offer a half price Retul bike fit to anyone who buys a bike from them, if you want it, and are able to get to their shops.
All in all well pleased with the merchandise and service from PX.

Good to know they're pretty on it.

Interesting that you've got a medium. I'm about 5'9 and when I mailed them the guy I spoke to said to go for a large frame? Which seems a little odd to me at the time and even more so now, but just another reason/excuse to check out the warehouse anyway :thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
After years of buying at bikes at brick and mortar stores, my next purchase will probably be online. I know the size and other spaces I need. Planetx and others are very reputable brands and I wouldn't hesitate buying from them. If you're unsure about size then you might want to look elsewhere.

Yes - same here. I'd buy online with no hesitation.

I really like the Rose set-up where you can tweak to your heart's content.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people

Interesting that you've got a medium. I'm about 5'9 and when I mailed them the guy I spoke to said to go for a large frame? Which seems a little odd to me at the time and even more so now, but just another reason/excuse to check out the warehouse anyway :thumbsup:
The sizing was probably a bit more luck than judgement to be honest on both bikes. But they do fit me perfectly.

U

User6179

The one thing I have noticed about PX bikes is the frames look really small with a lot of seat post on show , so the sizing might not be the same as other brands .

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The one thing I have noticed about PX bikes is the frames look really small with a lot of seat post on show , so the sizing might not be the same as other brands .
That's true actually.
My PX TTbike is a medium but came with enough seat post to accommodate someone with a 45" inside leg, and you only get about 6" to push it into the seat post before it goes off at an angle. So I had to cut it to suit me. But it's all good now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Except the effective TT is 59cm :smile:

They measure by seat tube looking at the grid (as I think do Boardman/Hellfrauds)

A medium would make sense for 5'9, ~55cm TT (54.7 cm for the pedant)

Rider Height Suggested Frame Size
5′3″ to 5′7″ (160cm-170cm) Small
5′8″ to 5′11″ (173cm-180cm) Medium
5′10″ to 6′2″ (178cm- 188cm) Large
6′1″ to 6′6″ (185cm- 198cm) X-Large

U

User6179

Going by the PX geometry the 52cm would be the same as 58cm Cube or 56cm Cannondale and would fit 5.9 to 6ft with the right stem depending on leg size !?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Going by the PX geometry the 52cm would be the same as 58cm Cube or 56cm Cannondale and would fit 5.9 to 6ft with the right stem depending on leg size !?
Reckon thats about right - I have a 44cm c to c Ribble 7005SL - very similar geometry = aprox 50 cm horizontal top tube, centre to top.

Top Bottom