What's the catch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Two of my bikes are Planet X.
One TT bike and a road bike. Really good value for money IMHO. Both ridden regularly with no problems to date.
I've also bought a fair bit of cycling stuff from PX, and the service and delivery has always been first class.
As far as PX sizing goes I bought two medium sized bikes; I'm 5'11" and both are perfect.
They do offer a half price Retul bike fit to anyone who buys a bike from them, if you want it, and are able to get to their shops.
All in all well pleased with the merchandise and service from PX.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Saving up the £ (very early days just enjoying doing the homework! ) and looking at sub 1500 road bikes. Keener on carbon then alu and aside bianchi,giant and cube have also had a look at Planet X and ribble.my question - what is the catch? How can these guys afford to make bikes with these components? Carbon frame with ultegra for £900????really? How reliable are the frames? Tbh I would be nervous about buying online due to sizing and not riding first but the specs seem too good to be true...

Planet X & Ribble make bikes that are seen pretty much everywhere and if I were to be blunt they get ridden by people that tend to use them if you know what I mean.

I think the 'economics' have been pointed out up thread - the question I'd ask is why do some bikes cost so much?

You may not get lifetime warranties on frames from some of these manufacturers but to me so what? Are you keeping the bike a lifetime? What's the likelyhood of a frame failing? Not much really. How much does a new frame cost at this level? A few hundred pounds. And a lifetime warranty doesn't necessarily equate to a better frame anyway - think Kia 7 years warranty against BMW 3 year warranty.

Plenty of people buy online and as you have a bike already you'll have an idea of what you are looking for in terms of fit.

As for riding the bike - for sure some people will have very precise needs and will have to try a number of bikes and ride them over a fair distance before they buy, and fair enough. However, I'd bet that a very high proportion of bikes are bought on the basis that it felt great on a short whizz around the block of the dealer and I'd also bet that most people would be happy with their purchase too.

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Carbon, lighter ?

Not always by as much as you would think @Tankengine

Cycling Plus used to & Cyclist still do break down the bike & weigh the frame (and every single part in the case of Cyclist) & list the weight as part of the review/test.

Lower end & some mid grade carbon frames come in at around 1400 > 1500g depending on manufacturer.

Only higher end, with good lay up & processes achieve significant weight savings.

A good aluminium frame might be expected to weigh between 1400 & 1700g dependant on size, steel maybe similar.

Look for well known Toray or Torayca (there are others) & T800 upwards (carbon grade) for the lighter frames.

Once a frame gets to the 1 kilo & sub Kilo weight, expect to pay around £1k + just for the frame.

Cyclist33

I really don't think that is right.

I was looking at buying a bike business a few years ago and the margins are pretty poor.

I had a Forme dealer's brochure and the cost to a dealer was (for example) £799 for a bike that retailed at £1499.

So it was around 40-50% markup from dealer to consumer across the ranges.

Cyclist33

Planet X & Ribble make bikes that are seen pretty much everywhere and if I were to be blunt they get ridden by people that tend to use them if you know what I mean.

I don't know what this means at all, but at any rate it seems a gross generalisation not founded on evidence, and probably offensive in some way to happy owners of these branded bikes.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Planet X quote the Pro Carbon frame weight as 1124 gms (size not stated), Toray T700. I reckon it is a great deal for those who know what they are after in terms of frame size and geometry.
edit 'people that tend to use them' probably:biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry to burst the bubble, but that's going to be gross profit.
Indeed, they have to cover all their overheads from that 40-50%, that won't be profit :smile: Also how many people actually pay the full RRP on a bike - or do but get some freebies / reduced stuff as part of the deal? C2W doesn't count as the retailer loses a proportion and the buyer isn't actually handing over the full RRP in taxed readies

vickster

Legendary Member

Do you mean abuse rather than use? Bikes are meant to be used. As above, what does that actually mean? I do see them around London underneath commuters / urban riders, not so often out of the city / rush hour...certainly nowhere as many as the 'big' brands (but then I live nowhere near a PX/Ribble showroom). An old colleague used to commute on a Ribble Gran Fondo now I come to think of it. Don't know anyone with a PX bike

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that's fine well done, but it's still going to net the dealer a fat profit.
I expect it's not that much once all costs covered on a single bike. I don't think there are many millionaire LBS owners out there, especially outside the large chains

My business aims for a 50% gross profit, but much of that goes to cover overheads (of which there are many aside from staff)

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Yes that's fine well done, but it's still going to net the dealer a fat profit.

What vickster said.

You've got wages, delivery costs, utility charges, council tax, licences, insurance, unsold stock, debtors, creditors, VAT, income tax, capital gains tax to account for in most businesses. Plus, to get that price for a bike from a stockist, an LBS will have to buy more than just one bike, so fat profit tends to be the stuff of dreams. Plus, most shops will give you a warranty, a free service and most are kind enough to offer free maintenance for minor issues.

Thanks for the well done though, I'll always take a well done ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don't know what this means at all, but at any rate it seems a gross generalisation not founded on evidence, and probably offensive in some way to happy owners of these branded bikes.

@Cyclist33

Noooooo! That's not what I mean't at all - must've written it wrong!

I see quite a few of both brands up here and they appear to be ridden by serious riders who know what a good bike is!

I was 'bigging up' both brands in the light of the OP's concerns.

vickster

Legendary Member
What vickster said.

You've got wages, delivery costs, utility charges, council tax, licences, insurance, unsold stock, debtors, creditors, VAT, income tax, capital gains tax to account for in most businesses. Plus, to get that price for a bike from a stockist, an LBS will have to buy more than just one bike, so fat profit tends to be the stuff of dreams. Plus, most shops will give you a warranty, a free service and most are kind enough to offer free maintenance for minor issues.

Thanks for the well done though, I'll always take a well done ^_^

Don't forget the credit card and bank charges for taking payment (or C2W fees)

Top Bottom