What's the catch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Cyclist33

Noooooo! That's not what I mean't at all - must've written it wrong!

I see quite a few of both brands up here and they appear to be ridden by serious riders who know what a good bike is!

I was 'bigging up' both brands in the light of the OP's concerns.

I have read you post SD and can not for the life of me think why anyone would think othwise, that you complimenting value for money brands.
regards
Mark

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Don't forget the credit card and bank charges for taking payment (or C2W fees)

Ha, ha, yes....and mortgage / rent...and if it is rent, which is most probable, then it's likely to be high, especially if it's on a high street.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Going back to OPs original point:laugh:.
As I am in a similar situation I have been doing the "research".
I had a Ribble carbon with 105s.......excellent---thoroughly enjoyed it (before it was nicked last month:sad::wacko:). It was my first ever "good bike" and I was well impressed.
However a LBS advised me that Ribble frames are old technology and that a good "up to date technology" alloy will be cheaper but perform better. So........cheap(ish) carbon frame plus good components = £-low price. GOOD carbon frames will cost a lot more but perform MUCH better.
It is (I am told) similar with PlanetX.
To people like me (and the OP) who have never seriously ridden a GOOD frame we cannot compare and so..........they seem good to us but may well perform poorly compared to REALLY good frames.
I am told that companies like Giant/Spez/Trek/Cube etc. etc. are constantly developing & improving their frames and the difference is in how much of our effort/energy is converted into results/performance.
Hope this helps.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of my energy = not that much bike performance regardless of the frame material (I am yet to succumb to titanium, maybe that's the holy grail for me :laugh: )

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I can't honestly see or feel much difference between PX or the Roubaix SL4 frames that I have.
The PX bike was much better specced for a lot less money, so there must be a difference I suppose.
My Roubaix has an alleged excellent frame, but the cost of the whole bike was kept down because Speciaized kitted it out with low end parts. Partial Sora groupset, unbranded brake calipers, cheap handlebars and cheap wheels.
Personally for the price I payed for it, I would have expected at least a full 105 groupset or equivalent.
I have changed it all now, but that's how it came.
But as I have said previously, I am more than happy with my two PX bikes.

U

User6179

I can't honestly see or feel much difference between PX or the Roubaix SL4 frames that I have.
The PX bike was much better specced for a lot less money, so there must be a difference I suppose.
My Roubaix has an alleged excellent frame, but the cost of the whole bike was kept down because Speciaized kitted it out with low end parts. Partial Sora groupset, unbranded brake calipers, cheap handlebars and cheap wheels.
Personally for the price I payed for it, I would have expected at least a full 105 groupset or equivalent.
I have changed it all now, but that's how it came.
But as I have said previously, I am more than happy with my two PX bikes.

All the big brands seem to be going down the same route with cheap parts on expensive frames now

ayceejay

Guru
If you think there is something fishy about what is essentially an 'entry level' bike you could try to build one yourself. Planet X are offering this carbon framed bike for a really low price- the offer is genuine but you will get what you pay for.The cost of the Ultegra gtoupset is around £500 and if you bought this set up on a Colnago the bike would cost maybe 5 times more.

U

User6179

I'm fine too mate, thanks for asking.
Yeah, I have the pro carbon with the Ultegra groupset. It was a bargain considering how much the Ultegra costs separately.

if I didn't need wheels , tyres , chainrings , chains, cassettes , pedals, cleats, brake pads , water bottles for my 4 bikes I would be buying one :smile:

Cyclist33

I have read you post SD and can not for the life of me think why anyone would think othwise, that you complimenting value for money brands.
regards
Mark

I think it was the combination of "bikes that are seen pretty much everywhere" (which is often used in a pejorative way to suggest herd mentality), "to be blunt" (which normally precedes knowingly saying something unpleasant) and "if you know what I mean" which is normally a soobtle way of excluding those being insulted by including those who understand the insult. But I totally accept I was wrong in this instance!

Cyclist33

What vickster said.

You've got wages, delivery costs, utility charges, council tax, licences, insurance, unsold stock, debtors, creditors, VAT, income tax, capital gains tax to account for in most businesses. Plus, to get that price for a bike from a stockist, an LBS will have to buy more than just one bike, so fat profit tends to be the stuff of dreams. Plus, most shops will give you a warranty, a free service and most are kind enough to offer free maintenance for minor issues.

Thanks for the well done though, I'll always take a well done ^_^
Time to get the spreadsheets out!!

Top Bottom