1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the cheapest

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by roadiewill, 8 Mar 2008.

1. roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

Specialized allez I can get? Any going in the sales? And are they better than a giant scr 3.0?

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Internet sales - Pauls cycles seems to always have good prices.

As for better? They are both very similar, i think the Spesh looks better. Pick the one that is the best colour
    Have you looked around for 2nd hand bikes? Always plenty about, could grab a bargain

3. OP
    OP
    roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

I was looking at the Specialized Allez Double 2007, I think it does look better but its about 50 quid more than the giant. Worth it?

4. OP
    OP
    roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

What is meant by the double chainset btw? As oposed to the triple chainset?

5. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Double Will...two front chainrings, something like 50T and 39T
    Triple will have three chainrings, something like 50, 39 and a 30T.

Which one you need is really dictated by your fitness and terrain.

A triple will give you far more gearing options if its hilly there. Your fitness will improve so a triple MAY become less useful, but the terrain wont change. If its flat there, i'd get a double.

6. OP
    OP
    roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

Oh right, does the scr 3 have a triple or double?

7. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

8. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

9. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

For what it's worth the Allez consistently wins the best entry level bike of the year in Cycling Plus. I have the Allez Sport as my second bike and it is a good bike. My mate has the Giant and that's nice too! I would always go for the triple myself but then my knees and hips aren't great so I like to spin a bit more than some folk.

10. OP
    OP
    roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

Another thing, off topic from the allez, but will the 08 giants be the same sizes as the 07 models? (Measured from the same place)

11. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Ditto, I have the triple. My advice is to hold back and pay a little bit more for the Elite model. I wish I had done this now.

12. walker

walker New Member

13. OP
    OP
    roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

Aww that is so tempting but I have finally decided on the 2008 SCR 4.0 - Just love the colour scheme Giant have produced. I will then keep the money I have saved for some proper road shoes, new computer and further upgrades...