What's the fascination with LeJoG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a tremendous achievment to have done it but everytime I contemplate it, I think, hmmm, I'd rather do a thousand miles doing.....this or that but then again I feel the same way about a lot of organised routes. I've never felt the urge to do them because they're there.

Wouldn't you rather spend your time cycling a thousand miles in Europe?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
It's a tremendous achievment to have done it but everytime I contemplate it, I think, hmmm, I'd rather do a thousand miles doing.....this or that but then again I feel the same way about a lot of organised routes. I've never felt the urge to do them because they're there.

You know, technically, LeJog IS in Europe!

And we all (well, me at any rate) want to stand on the top of the highest hill in England/Britain so as cyclists, why not do the length of the country?
(Talking of which, does anyone know of an English end-to-end?)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm with Crackle, to be honest. If I'm going to notch up a thousand miles and spend my precious holidays, I want to be somewhere else.

I do want to do LEJOG at some point...but there's too much world out there yet...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I personally think it is a big achievement. Telling people you toured for two weeks in europe and did 1000 miles, in my opinion, doesn't have the 'wow' factor of doing LEJOG/JOGLE. People (non cyclists) in this country can relate to LEJOG/JOGLE better than they can relate to a tale of someone riding Paris to Rome.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The fascination of LEJOG im my humble opinion is because it is my/our/your home country. And my/our/your home country has some of the most beautiful countryside, views, vistas one could ever imagine.
I have yet to do the LEJOG, but I will one day.

Danny

Legendary Member
User76 said:
I wanted to go to the shoottest place in Britain, so I went to Slannaban.
For those of us who have never been there what's so bad about Slannaban - and where the heck is it.

yenrod

Crackle said:

You mean you've never done the Liverpool-Chester ride

5.gif

Ive wondered on a big ride of some sort as I know I can do lots of miles on a bike in a day and am skilled more than most on a bike otherwise I wouldnt have stuck at cycling from 16 to now (36....and done some 'epics').

I'd just like to put it to use for the aid of someone who need help or is in need of some funding of some sort.

If I can do a ton on my own and thats included as part of a 3month consecutive period in the summer doing a 1000mls a month.

I could do something 'big' but'am not to keen on the sleeping rough bit :biggrin: :angry:

I suppose the lejog is the longest the brit.isles has to offer !

buggi

Bird Saviour
the attraction is probably because its one end of a country to another so its got the wow factor to people that don't cycle and makes you seem like the God of Fitness to those mere mortals :biggrin:

of course, we all know what a piece of pi55 it is really... LOL :angry:

Danny

Legendary Member
User76 said:
Slammanan is here. I rode into town from Falkirk, having just seen the wheel, about 11am on a sunday morning. I admit I was surprised to have to avoid a sofa with it's stuffing ripped out in the middle of the t-junction in the village centre. Not as surprised as I was to see it's once matching armchair burnt out on the pavement outside a take-away eatery:ohmy: The corner shop had 4 youngsters coming out of it, each with a 4 pack, on the opposite side of the road was a pub. There was a group of local chaps stood outside, and when I was about level with them, one of them threw a half empty can of Tennants at me and shouted "F**k off you c**t". Discretion being the better part of valour I hastily pedalled on, left past the library, and over the mini roundabout and I was gone. Well I say mini-roundabout, it would maybe be more accurate to say dead labradorxx(

What a crapping shite hole
Scotland can be like that. When I visited Glasgow for the first time as a student I was propositioned by an old drunk as soon as I emerged from the station. I beat a hasty, and slightly embarrassed retreat, round the corner only to run into a gang of 12 year olds who started throwing very large stones at me.

Bodhbh

Guru
Would love to do a trip like that, but just broadly from the South coast of the British Isle to the North - give it 3-4 weeks. Not really bothered about LeJoG in particular. Too much good stuff en route I'm sure would get annoyed by passing in a rush or too directly. Would end on top of Ben Hope, the most northerly monroe looking out over the sea stretch out to the artic, or just carry on to the Orkneys and enjoy getting there for a few days.

/edit - is the cost thing too, when you can do similar tours in other countries and live better, try new food etc.

Top Bottom