What's the fastest you've been on a fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

U

User19783

36mph, at 170rpm,thats fast enough for me,
I came off last year at 35 mph, downhill, when the chain wrapped itself around the wheel,not much fun, now I start pulling on the brakes at 150rpm.
43mph wow Ian

37mph on a 77" gear, about 163 rpm but I'm not confident or comfortable above about 33mph unless it's a nice smooth, straight bit of road.
I think age comes into it quite a bit, one guy I ride with who's mid twenties manages the same speeds downhill on a 70" gear without a problem.

GrasB

Veteran
My summer riding gear is normally 49:15 on a 25c rear tyre that's 87" or so. Down hill I get into the low to mid 40s, that's around 170rpm. However, on the flat I've hit & held 38mph @ 147 rpm for 5 or 6 seconds.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Is more of a "what's the fastest spinning you've done?" As gearing is the thing that changes....mines 176 rpm when out on a ride with pennine_paul.

GrasB

Veteran
Is more of a "what's the fastest spinning you've done?" As gearing is the thing that changes....mines 176 rpm when out on a ride with pennine_paul.
Somewhere a few rpm north of 210rpm, power at that point was basically only just over coming the rolling resistance of the tyre. Only to be tried on rollers with the resistance magnets disengaged.

Norry1

Legendary Member
34.8mph - don't know the cadence as I didn't have a cadence sensor on, and I haven't calculated it from gear ratio.

I once did a charity challenge on a gym exercise bike to do the most distance in half an hour. The mile counter made no allowance for gearing, so you had to get in the easiest gear and spin like a loony. I got to just over 180rpm but nearly exploded by the end.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
35 (48 x 16) is my top before my knees felt like they were going to explode :hyper: . Now I will hit 31 - 32 on my daily commute and that is fast enough thanks.

Top Bottom