What's the fastest you've been on a fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just done quite an interesting calculation using a very complex set of figures and algebra-type stuff that none of you would really understand....

But the outcome was fascinating and I feel the need to share it:

It turns out that I have ridden on the road at precisely 0.8mph faster than the person who thinks they've just posted the fastet speed.

Bizarrely, as the fastest posted speed creeps up, my maximum stays exactly 0.8mph ahead of the fasted speed posted.

I could prove it with maths stuff, but none of you would really get it.

I wonder whether you're all more jealous of my extraordinary mathematical ability or my courage and my staggering riding ability.

Carry on.

rugbyluke

Dont know but last time I tried I ended up in 1985

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
somewhere in the vicinity of 35mph on the current bike with its 70" gearing. Can't find straight and smooth enough tarmac around my usual haunts to try to go faster. Though there is a local downhill dual carriageway which, in the wee small hours, could have potential.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've seen the infamous Steve A descend Reigate Hill at 39mph - his cadence went up to 199.

Likewise I've seen the even more infamous @GregCollins descend a hill. That was before they took his shorts down. Once was enough...........

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the mental scars will never heal........
bumpscar.jpg

edindave

Über Member
If I do a hop, skip and jump, I can be on my fixed in 0.237 secs.
The fosbury flop is slightly slower due to the prevailing headwind.

BarryBonkers

Regular
Had you travelled at -2mph, you would have arrived before you set off. I saw a documentary on this topic involving trogladite cannibals and victorian inventors, so I can be quite confident of my facts. It cannot be otherwise.

Which reminds me of a joke;

The barman says: “We don’t serve faster-than-light particles here.” A tachyon enters a bar.

To answer the OP, about 40mph/180rpm/46x16 down the only steep hill on the A303, cycling London to Dorset. I was a bit too distracted to watch the Cateye. The rest of the journey was quite zen after that.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hit 36mph recently on a 48 x17 to be honest could go quicker but not found a quiet and more importantly smooth bit of tarmac to test. Unshipping a chain at those rpm's is nervy!

apb

Veteran
I hit 33.3 down queens drive on Friday. I can't say I felt in complete control.

48 * 16. (I don't/can't/haven't learnt to skid).

Top Bottom