What's the fastest you've been on a fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thinking about all those legs going round in a blur makes me smile. Is the speed thing some sort of badge of honour for fixed enthusiasts?

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Thinking about all those legs going round in a blur makes me smile. Is the speed thing some sort of badge of honour for fixed enthusiasts?
Oh yes! & struggling up hills instead of walking.............:laugh:^_^

Just over 35mph running 69".

Now running just over 65" and lacking the suppleness required to exceed 165rpm... I struggle to get over 32mph.

However, the speed itself is not the issue. A fast descent on fixed is an excellent comedy of terror on a dry day and slightly worse in the wet.

The giggle value of fixed (and the bizarre but intoxicating pleasure) has little to do with figures and statistics.

98.7% of fixed-gear riders agree with that statement.

One might equally ask how slow one has gone on fixed. My record is 0mph. I do not include trackstanding, as I can't do it and it is therefore for girls and show-offs.

My record is 0mph. I do not include trackstanding, as I can't do it and it is therefore for girls and show-offs.

Mine is about -2mph (for about 2 yards), if we're counting going backwards as a negative value. It was a while ago with flat pedals, I'm not intending to attempt to improve my PB.

Mine is about -2mph (for about 2 yards), if we're counting going backwards as a negative value. It was a while ago with flat pedals, I'm not intending to attempt to improve my PB.

This is contemptible nonsense.

Velocity attained in reverse gear (or through rearward rotation of any forward gear) has a positive value.

Had you travelled at -2mph, you would have arrived before you set off. I saw a documentary on this topic involving trogladite cannibals and victorian inventors, so I can be quite confident of my facts. It cannot be otherwise.

I fear that you are trying to bring dissent and disagreement into this otherwise cheerful and positive thread.

I hope you can sleep at night. Actually, I'm not sure I do...

Yours etc,

Boris B

This is contemptible nonsense.

Velocity attained in reverse gear (or through rearward rotation of any forward gear) has a positive value.

Had you travelled at -2mph, you would have arrived before you set off. I saw a documentary on this topic involving trogladite cannibals and victorian inventors, so I can be quite confident of my facts. It cannot be otherwise.

I fear that you are trying to bring dissent and disagreement into this otherwise cheerful and positive thread.

I hope you can sleep at night. Actually, I'm not sure I do...

Yours etc,

Boris B

It did hurt when I fell off if that makes you feel any better and in mitigation, I was very, very drunk.

I dont know how fast but i nearly soiled my chamois once (on a time trial funny bike which was geared too high for my liking) when i came over the brow of a hill to find i was going way too fast - really steep - and whilst trying to bring it under control on the front brake the back wheel was coming off the ground .... Neeearghhhhh!

.... When a wagon came past me too close and sucked me along even faster in its draught. That i am alive today to relate the tale is testament to the amazing power of swearing.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Nightmare memories of roads that get steeper, then rougher, then steeper again, then suddenly veer off sideways out of vision, tyres scarcely touching the ground enough to maintain any control. You may add verge-side trees, sheer drops, on-coming traffic, to suit.

Paulwho100

40mph with 46t crank and a 16t gear

Reactions: 4F
U

User19783

My goal is to climb up streatly hill,
Between Wallingford and Reading road.
it's a good 16/ incline, I've only manage half way so far, (48x19)

Top Bottom