What's the fastest you've ever done on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
My fastest speed was 43mph. Although my computer once recorded 66mph when I was stopped. I suspect it was picking up a signal from somewhere nearby and thinking it was the speed.

yashicamat

I've hit just over 48mph on my Surly LHT touring bike, although friends reckoned on a recent tour that my distance reading was under by about 7%, so maybe I was closer to 53mph? It was down a quick hill (the B5370 between Rainow & Kettleshulme if anyone knows it) and wasn't sustained for very long. On reflection, it was a pretty daft thing to do because the brakes on the LHT at the time were pretty poor!

pjhill

I hit 48mph going down Gun Hill, near Bristol, a few years back. I might have gone faster but I lost my nerve when the idea of a blow-out entered my mind.

Brains

Legendary Member
Low 40's for me in France on a fully loaded touring bike

My brother, (ex motocycle dispatch rider) was overtaken as he touched 60mph by two other cyclists coming down from an Alpine pass

Brains

Legendary Member
CharlieB said:
48.6mph, a long long time (18yrs) ago, down the Bexley side of Shooter's Hill.

They have just relaid the tarmac and very nicley put one of those flashing speed signs at the bottom.
So it's perfect place for a speed trial as long as you find a few moments without vehicle traffic.

hobo

O' wise one
50mph fully loaded down a 2000m pass in Spain, 64mph down Styal Cop bank Rugeley,Staffs 20 yrs ago. I hit 54mph down t'other siade of Mow Cop last week and 51mph down the hill past The Roaches last wednesday.
I think its due to my weight after accelerating in the 48x12 gear.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
PaulB said:
then again, I don't know how it can be inaccurate
Very brief speed glitches are common. GPS positioning errors are small these days - typically within 10 metres - but if it thinks you've gone 10 metres in a tiny fraction of a second, you'll get a momentarily impressive speed!

The best way to spot real speeds from glitches is to read in the data on your PC using Mapsource or similar, you can then see whether the speed was gradually building or suddenly jumped.

My fastest real speed is 54mph down the far side of Ditchling. I've seen glitches of up to 188mph. :-) Oh, and my fastest real speed captured on a GPS was 1280mph, but that wasn't on a bicycle ...

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you consider that above a certain height, you fall at the same speed whatever the height (hence why sometimes parachutists survive when they have a fail) i would imagine that what people say about getting over 50mph being very hard is probably true, and yes, it would be more to do with aerodynamics. so it's unlikely you reached that speed.

What speed to the TdF riders get coming off the mountains?

Top Bottom