What's the fastest you've ever done on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have a Garmin 705 and when I was in Cyprus recently, it recorded (and I don't know if I believe it - but then again, I don't know how it can be inaccurate) 78.9 MILES per hour coming down from Trachypedoulou in the Troodos mountains. Now I know I was going fast but THAT fast? Is it possible?

thomas

the tank engine
Of course it is possible!

I've done 50mph ;)...it doesn't really feel that fast tbh.

dodgy

You can smooth out the speed spikes with a Garmin Edge using Sporttracks, that's probably what happened - an abberation with the GPs ;) 78.9 mph is extremely unlikely, even in Troodos (I know the area) :biggrin:
I seem to recall Cycling Plus or some magazine anyway, trying to see how fast they could go and even with everything in their favour (traffic, equipment, wind, road conditions etc), struggled to get over 50mph in the UK.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
dodgy said:
I seem to recall Cycling Plus or some magazine anyway, trying to see how fast they could go and even with everything in their favour (traffic, equipment, wind, road conditions etc), struggled to get over 50mph in the UK.

i've done over 50 going down the other side of ditchling beacon, there must be longer and steeper descents elsewhere in the uk. it is certainly possible.

Most of going fast at that speed is about aerodynamics. much like this

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kZSzB4kEE8

darkstar

I've never made it into the 40s, 39 is my highest. Not many hills round my way though. Should improve it on the LeJog.

dodgy

Yeah, sure you can go over 50mph in the UK, I'm confident of that. I've reached 45mph several times (down the Horseshoe pass near Llangollen for instance). But once you get over 50mph, it's less about your power and more about aerodynamics (as you said).
I think we probably all agree that 78.9mph is down to an error.

Some impressive speeds posted. The fastest I've recorded was 47.6mph down the String Road in Arran; I'm sure if I could do that other folk would do 60mph there. On another thread somebody posted about Sean Yates doing 70mph. I think 78.9mph sounds like an error.

gavintc

Guru
On the local club run on Sun, we generally start will about 100 riders up a dual carriageway. It is flat and speeds are high with breakaways occurring constantly and all over both roads. It is akin to a race start.Th e speed is always in the 40 - 50 kph bracket and is an absolute blast for about 10 -15 miles and then the pace settles. So my best sustained flat road, no wind speed for about a mile or two is 50 kph, hanging onto a wheel, watching my heart rate reach the limit.

Noodley

199 mph on a road with a slightly upward aspect - my computer was buggered mind :wacko:

The Cairnwell descent is good for getting high speeds, I've got to over 50mph, but I usually bottle it due to crosswinds (I forgot to check what I got last weekend, but will go and check now)...I've overtaken cars on this descent and the expression on the faces of children in the cars is quite amusing! :smile:

edit - 78.1kph, just under 49mph. I bottled it after the second bend and touched the brakes and a few others flew past me...

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
38.5 mph down Farleigh Wallop hill in Hampshire - thought about exceeding 40, but bike was shaking quite a bit and I was in very much summer attire, and no helmet, so didn't want to push my luck

thomas said:
Of course it is possible!

I've done 50mph :smile:...it doesn't really feel that fast tbh.

I did 50mph coming down from Ditchling into Brighton but my old bottle went...:wacko:

gaz said:
i've done over 50 going down the other side of ditchling beacon, there must be longer and steeper descents elsewhere in the uk. it is certainly possible.

I reckon I could have got 60...Probably not now though..That was at least ten years ago...

Top Bottom