What's the fastest you've ever done on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
51.60mph coming off the top of Newlands pass the other week in the Keswick sportive. I love descending but my Verenti has a compact on it so I miss having a really big gear to crank... I don't miss having a compact on the ascents though! :sad:

48.8mph going down Tak Ma doon. That wasn't the impressive bit though. The impressive bit was realising that there was a ford at the bottom and only being able to scrub the speed to 40mph when I went over it! Yikes! :sad::smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
46 mph going down to Dartmeet on Dartmoor but I bottled out when I saw somw sheep wandering onto the road.

bonk man

50 something several times at several locations.... I am now getting a bit nervous of high speeds after hitting a cat at about 30mph in a race, it makes you feel a bit vulnerable when you have that sort of thing happen to you..

I was overtaken by a clubmate when I was doing about 48mph.... he whizzed past, well over 50mph, that was scary stuff..

The local [ within club ride distance ] hills to us for high speed and not so much fear are the west side of Clee Hill, Snowshill on the Cotswolds, British Camp on the right day is ok, 45mph is attainable and maybe 50 with a tailwind and spinning legs.

I would say Fromes Hill in Herefordshire has great high speed potential but has a sharp turn 3/4 way down so good brakes are needed, I don't mind admitting I have scared myself going down that one.. I nearly hit a dog while doing about 40 at the cross roads at the bottom... black labrador in the dark:laugh::smile::sad:

I've managed to nudge it just over 50mph a couple of times on a straight bit of downhill, that's about as fast as I've got the bottle for, and about 45mph if there's a bend.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
About 51 mph going down Tan Hill in Yorkshire a few years back. I am pretty sure if I was a heavier bloke I could have been even faster. I am generally a cautious descender but for some reason that day, I let it rip. The cattle grids near the bottom were a bit unnerving...

The OP however, is definitely an error of some kind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Flying_Monkey said:
About 51 mph going down Tan Hill in Yorkshire a few years back. I am pretty sure if I was a heavier bloke I could have been even faster. I am generally a cautious descender but for some reason that day, I let it rip. The cattle grids near the bottom were a bit unnerving...
Being a heavier bloke myself, I either descend quickly or get through a lot of brake blocks - I usually choose speed!

I went out on a CycleChat forum ride in March which took us over Ilkley Moor. The descent off the Cow and Calf was in heavy mist on greasy roads but I still hit over 50 mph. Bokonon had warned me that there was a cattle grid at the bottom but I didn't spot it in time and was still doing 47 mph when I hit it! :smile: Fortunately it was in good condition - I've been over some mangled grids that would destroy wheels if cycled over at speed...

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
The OP however, is definitely an error of some kind.

Hmm, prior to that, my top speed ever recorded on a Garmin in Britain was 55 mph but in Cyprus, I've got three recordings at over 60 mph and I still see a huge spike on the one I'm on about. I still can't understand how it is or IF it is an error but I get the 78.9 speed on a very steep decent from Trachy to just shy of Choletria where I also see the 60+ers so it's confusing me. If it happened on a flat or uphill section, then obviously it's an abberation but it's happened on the fastest, straightest downhill section I've been on. Hey, it MAY be right (and I may cling to that possibility:evil:)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My top speed was 47mph with full camping gear on a descent in the Lake District. I knew that had been going fast but was not aware of the speed as I was focussed on the road and not the cycle computer. It was only at the end of the day as I cycled (sic through the reading that I discovered the max speed. I though it was a computer error and that I was looking at the day's mileage being mis-reported - I shivered a bit when I realised that I'd reached a silly speed for a bike with fairly poor brakes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Proto said:
51mph down Chinnor Hill, off the Chilterns into er, ............ Chinnor.

Cracking hill Proto!
I've grunted up it a few times, but never down.

Reached 49 mph coming down Ventoux (as I overtook a 4x4 :biggrin:). Reached 42 near Wantage yesterday.

Top Bottom