What's the heaviest load you've carried on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
A PowerPC G5, fully loaded with RAID drives and twin gfx / network cards on the rear rack, flanked by a pair of 20" Cinema displays, one in each pannier.

Hauling that over Crystal Palace on the Panzerfiets was probably a mistake.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not myself, but ive seen / heard two funny things...
One was an electrician who strapped a bundle of galvanised conduit (its heavy) to his crossbar and rode across Peterborough years ago. He said it was a nightmare, it was so long, he couldnt turn corners :biggrin:

Other was walking across a park one day near some shops. Behind me i heard 'thud'...then 'thud thud'...increasing in tempo :ohmy:
I turned round and there was a guy on a MTB, sack of potatoes across his crossbar, which was slowly, then faster, then quickly emptying itself across the field as he rode along:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.
He stopped, turned his head top look at a trail of potatoes :sad:...and rode off leaving them on the park :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Shouldnt have laughed.....;)

Goldfang

A large roll of wire chicken mesh on my shoulder for 4 miles, it ranks among one of the more stupid things that I have done. Marks of the mesh bitten into my shoulder lasted for days, I tried to strap it to the pannier rack but it would not stay on.

toroddf

30 kgs up Trollstigen in Norway and a lot of pretty nasty mountains. Trollstigen = 900 meters height gain in 10 kilometers. It was raining and fog. I climbed it (walked) bare-chested. I was asked if I had just escaped from a mental institution. Good question........

tordis

No idea what the total weight was, but one pannier was full of cat food, the other had milk and bread in it and on top of it all there was a 10l bag of cat litter. Glad the route wasn't long :girl:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thread Necromancy.

23 kgs (weekly shop) distributed between rear panniers, loo roll bungeed on top of the rack, and 35 litre rucsac.
Handling was a bit iffy due to rearward C.o.G

Bike is 15kg (a rescue frame from the local recycling centre and various bits from the man cave)
2021-03-20 12.52.02.jpg

A green recycling bin full of bricks.
100Kg loads are doable on my trailer but braking downhill is tricky. You need to control the speed or the tail wags the dog.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sadly I don't have a photo, but before the interwebs were a thing, I did a day ride near Calais and bought alcohol back, as you do.
6 cases of lager at 9 kg per case,
6 bottles of Cote du Rhone at 1 kg each. Roughly.
That's 60 kg, in panniers beside and on top of front and rear racks. Three cases of beer up front, three cases and the wine at the back. Handling was a little compromised, to say the least. Braking wasn't up to much either...

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I remember when I only worked from home one day a week. I never enjoyed the commute home the preceding day, or back into work the following day due to the extra weight and bulk of the laptop. Having read this thread perhaps it wasn't so bad after all.

classic33

Leg End Member
A front tyre off a John Deere four wheel drive tractor. All downhill from where I found it at the side of the road. Second one gone when I went back for it.

Top Bottom