What's the heaviest load you've carried on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
59Kg in my Columbus trailer. It regularly took 2 large parcels to the local post office when the maximum weight permitted was 30Kg per parcel. Parking in summer was difficult so a bike and trailer was an ideal solution.

froze

Über Member
I don't know about the weight but it was large. I used to do a paper route when I was 12. Seventy papers each day. I rested the bag on the crossbar, and it took up every inch of space from the nose of the saddle to the handlebars, which didn't give me much room to steer. It was okay once I'd delivered a few. Sunday was horrible because I had to do it in two loads due to the size of the Sunday papers. At the halfway point, ride back to the shop, pick up the rest of the papers and ride back to where I left off. All for ten bob a week.
I used to deliver papers back in the late 60's but I can't recall how many papers I carried; I just remembered the hassle of folding all of them before I delivered them. That was back in the days when there were evening papers still around, so a lot of elementary and junior high school kids ran paper routes, it only took us about 30 minutes to do if I remember. I used to rest the bag on the handlebars as well, they taught us to do that at the paper company. I lived in a fairly small town so the paper was pretty light thus the load was manageable, our town didn't do a Sunday paper. I can't recall how much I made doing that for sure, but I think it was around 50 cents a day, so 6 days of delivery was $3, I saved my money for a year and bought a Tissot watch because all my other watches kept breaking, that one never broke for 53 years.

Sixmile

Veteran
Our tandem with two kids on board and a weeks worth of clothes & snacks is definitely the most weight I've ever lugged around. We initially trie the set up with a double trailer on the back but that really was the 20kg straw that broke the camels.. hip! I'm half considering one last family tour with the tandem set up but everyone is a year heavier, including the pilot! :whistle:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
bikeweight.jpg

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Does giving your mate a backie count?

Round here we'd call that a croggie 😁.

Rhyagelle

60lb for months.

I had to carry bike tools, spare tubes, my work attire, a raincoat, work shoes (couldn't bike in them, especially in rain), something for lunch, water bottle, first aide kit and when it was winter months, had to carry a winter jacket + ushanka and face mask. I'd stop by the dollar store to pick up groceries too, and stuff all of it in one backpack or balance bags on the handles. It was not pretty. :laugh:

I ordered up a few things a few days ago, such as a rear rack and a crate to make lugging my stuff about easier! :notworthy:

silva

Über Member
I once rode 30 km with 65 kg loaded on rear basket and along (square tubes) the horizontal tube.
It's just pushing harder and riding slower.
It was on the outside. In a city, alot stops and starts, it requires a degree of crazyness. See, crash = lotsa damage, bike and rider. The heaviest load I ever went with through a city, a couple gitar speaker boxes and their amplifier, when arriving home the only sane thought was a never again. Realizing having had a lot luck by all green traffic lights and no surprises. Happy to succeed, but at the same time, realizing what risk it had been.

Top Bottom