What's the heaviest load you've carried on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Not heavy but long. A bunch of wooden battens behaved remarkably well on the 3 mile return journey. I lashed them to a 2.5m plank of wood to ensure no bouncing or flexing.

Reminds me of a bloke who used to clean our windows. He transported his ladder in a similar way. One end was fastened to the back of his bike and the other end had a pair of old pram wheels tied on. He could go at a fair old lick too.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
http-inlinethumb41.webshots.com-5928-2732919050104237032S425x425Q85.jpg

Boopop

Guru
I think about 100L of water when we had a water cut here in Leighton Buzzard. Grabbed loads of bottles of water and then went around some of the bungalows offering the old folks some extra water. I like a challenge 😄
1619628520335.png

Even got a shout out from the local council.

1619628587361.png

P.S. - Yes, using a cargo bike in this way does make you a smug git, sorry not sorry ^_^

JhnBssll

Veteran
Theres a lad that cycles past mine several times a week towing a trailer - he seems to collect scrap metal, I've seen fridges, gearboxes, all sorts go past... :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I think about 100L of water when we had a water cut here in Leighton Buzzard. Grabbed loads of bottles of water and then went around some of the bungalows offering the old folks some extra water. I like a challenge 😄 View attachment 586247

Even got a shout out from the local council.

View attachment 586248

P.S. - Yes, using a cargo bike in this way does make you a smug git, sorry not sorry ^_^
Fair play to you.
You could have done nothing, and moaned about no water.

battered

Guru
We had to get up at 2 i' t' morning, hafe an hour afore we went to bed...
I had my mate Holly on a paggy some while ago on the way to a party. She's only skinny though.

froze

Über Member
Not that much, around 45 pounds give or take a pound or two, and not including 5 bottles of water.

CharleyFarley

I don't know about the weight but it was large. I used to do a paper route when I was 12. Seventy papers each day. I rested the bag on the crossbar, and it took up every inch of space from the nose of the saddle to the handlebars, which didn't give me much room to steer. It was okay once I'd delivered a few. Sunday was horrible because I had to do it in two loads due to the size of the Sunday papers. At the halfway point, ride back to the shop, pick up the rest of the papers and ride back to where I left off. All for ten bob a week.

presta

Guru
Last time I toured fully laden I weighed 69.8kg in the buff, and the total for everything else was 36.9kg. Out of that, the bike is about 14kg, depending on which bits you count as bike. At my heaviest a few years before I was 86kg, so that would have made an all up weight of 123kg.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There are very few things you can't do on a bike with the right attitude and imagination.

Top Bottom