What's the lowest amount of coinage you'd bend down for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Out walking yesterday,i spotted a 20p piece on the pavement. One fifth of a pound,is it worth picking up i thought. 🤔 I decided not to,thinking some street urchin would benefit from it more than me. :whistle: A 50 pence piece is now the lowest coin i'd bend down to pick up and even then i wouldn't make a fuss over it,in case someone i know saw me doing so. How much will you bend down for fellow CCers? 🤔

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Depends, did I drop it in the first place.

Stephenite

Membå
A very good point.

I pick up anything I find. I always have done.

I had a similar conversation with some colleagues about 20 years ago. They felt it beneath them to pick up 1 kroner (10p). I would ask them how much they earned and work it out to the second. Very few people earn 10p for 3 seconds work. A least not then.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Depends, did I drop it in the first place.
I dropped about 17p last week. 'About',meaning i saw three 5 pence pieces and two pennies on the floor. Maybe other coins had dropped as well. The coins are so small now,not only are they not worth owt,you can hardly pick them up! I'm trying to think what you could buy for 17 pence.🤔

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
Bill Gates makes US$ 11.5 billion per year, that works out to US$ 23,148 per minute.

If Bill dropped his wallet and then spent 6 seconds bending down and picking it up
It would need to contain a minimum of US$2,300 to be worth his while

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A Fredo or a fudge used to be 10p
"A finger of fudge is just enough to give the kids a treat",if i remember rightly,from those tv ads.

Stephenite

Membå
I lost my wallet about a year ago. It ain't the cash it's the cards, etc. There may have been about 50 quid in it. When I realised it was gone I retraced my steps: the supermarket, the school, the nursery, the dentists. There it was in the dentists car park on the ground partly underneath another car. I am so glad people just left it where I dropped it instead of handing it in .

classic33

Leg End Member
I dropped about 17p last week. 'About',meaning i saw three 5 pence pieces and two pennies on the floor. Maybe other coins had dropped as well. The coins are so small now,not only are they not worth owt,you can hardly pick them up! I'm trying to think what you could buy for 17 pence.🤔
Three tails(5p) & head and tails on the two 1p coins you picked up.

The 2p piece rolled out of site.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was at the front of four lanes of rush hour traffic on Hammersmith Broadway a few years ago. Looking down, with the lights on red, there was a £20 note a yard in front of me, and I considered getting off the bike to trouser it. I weighed up the possibility of being crushed under the wheels of a few dozen impatient commuters and rode on.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...wrIkoqHCPK1y453otS7fQ!2e0!3e11!7i16384!8i8192

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Normally, me too - 'many a mickle makes a muckle'! I have been leaving them on the ground for the past few months though because I don't know who might have been getting coronavirus on them... :whistle:

I pick up pennies all the time. But I much prefer picking up twenty dollar bills.
And... me too (£10/£20 notes)!
A ten pound note. I saw sunlight reflecting off something in the dirt as a I did a mountain bike descent. I assumed that it was broken glass so I was watching carefully as I got closer. It turned out to be the banknote. Only the hologram was visible and the light was reflecting off that. I have no idea how it came to be half buried there. I picked it up and it paid for a Chinese takeaway and a pack of beer that night!

gbb

Legendary Member
Theres often small change under the vending machines at work, I will pick any up if I'm short but only generally bother with 20p's, the price of a coffee .
I have a habit of pronouncing 'see a penny pick it up, then all day you'll have a penny ;) ' whenever I do pick money up.

Some years ago in Greece I saw a euro on the floor, bent down to pick it up. Eh, its stuck to the floor ? And then immediately realised why, I nervously looked up but thankfully it was early in the day, I bet that would have got plenty of drunken jeers from the drunken patrons of the bar that stood just feet away.

Top Bottom