What's the lowest amount of coinage you'd bend down for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Copper is pretty good at killing viruses after 4 hours. If you see a penny on the ground just wait 4 hours before picking up you will be safe.
Use a small magnet on a cord, for 1p & 2p coins.

Drago

Legendary Member
Same here, as a young teen I found a wad of notes (rolled up), not sure how much but quite a lot, and my mother said we should take it to the local police station, where sometime later I got it back as it wasn't claimed, which really surprised me.
"Hello officer. I'm the local drug dealer and I dropped my roll last night. Have you seen it at all?"

classic33

Leg End Member
"Hello officer. I'm the local drug dealer and I dropped my roll last night. Have you seen it at all?"
In the local station a few years ago, waiting on the officer, when a known dealer came in saying he'd just been robbed. Everything, cash and "goods" taken.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have any of you chaps picked a coin out of the urinal trough in a public toilet? I just would not bother!xx(

The lad behind the bar in my local pub once picked his phone out of the trough after it'd fallen in. I saw him wiping the phone with a bit of paper towel.:ohmy: I decided not to buy another pint after seeing that happen. :stop:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Any copper in my pocket got thrown in the recycling bin. Helps keep the rates down.
They've not been a single metal since the early/mid '90's. There's more steel than copper in copper coins.

With the mention of the glued down coin trick, it reminded me of an old Dave Allen sketch where he spots a ten pound note stuck under the wheel of a parked car as he's walking past it.

He takes up a position in the window of a cafe overlooking the street, getting increasingly nervous every time someone comes close to spotting the note under the tyre.
Eventually the car owner comes along and gets in the car, Dave starts to get ready but the entire cafe clientele get up and make a dash for the door.
Yes, I remember it well ☝

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A few years ago i was outside a shop,sitting on my bike,sorting my coins out before i went into the shop to buy some things. I've always avoided standing over a drain/grate while rooting through my pockets,but not this time. Low and behold,i dropped what turned out to be,if i remember rightly £2.50 down the grate. Being a tight wad i couldn't leave it,so i stuck my fingers down in between the drain cover and pulled the thing out. I was pretty impressed with my brute strength. :whistle:I didn't think it would move,but somehow i summoned up super human power to retrieve my £2.50. I thought it similar to those who lift up whole cars with their bare hands to rescue someone stuck underneath!:okay:

Last edited:

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Some guys in my old local used to think it was hilarious to throw coppers in the trough and pee all over them knowing the old jaikeys would be right in there after them xx(

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1597745683694.png
1597746400020.png

The above pics (i added the accy cyclist bit to prove it's my pic':okay:) are of a 1807 penny i have. George the 3rd was the King at the time. My grandma gave me the coin in the 1960's. I once took it to a 'we buy and sell gold,jewellery,old coins etc' shop to be valued,thinking it'd be worth a few hundred quid. The shop owner took one look and told me that if it wasn't so worn down it'd be worth £3.50,but seeing as it was worn down it's worth 2 quid!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom