What's the lowest amount of coinage you'd bend down for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im a Yorkshireman and think this is a ridiculous question. I bend down for washers that look like coins.
In Denmark its not difficult 😁

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Years ago in our small shopping centre everyone had a chuckle at one of the local drunks. He was on his hands and knees breathing onto the ground trying to thaw out a fiver stuck inside a frozen puddle.

I remember me and my brother finding a ten shilling (50p to those born after 1965) note,about 1967. Our dad made us take it to the police station and hand it in. After 6 months or so we were 'awarded' that note,after no one claimed it.:smile:
similar memory here. Tend to think that wouldn't happen anymore. In any case the police station in my home town (pop around 15,000 rising) has been closed.
In my case I just happened to be with a friend when I spotted it.
He claimed half of it.
Like a mug I did give him half when I got it back from the police station months later.
May even have been the same year - maybe someone was going around testing the honesty of lancashire kids.

Last edited:
I do very often pass by 1ps.
I do have a certain residual worry that some smaller things have been glued to the pavement.
maybe folk don't do that anymore.

I was at the front of four lanes of rush hour traffic on Hammersmith Broadway a few years ago. Looking down, with the lights on red, there was a £20 note a yard in front of me, and I considered getting off the bike to trouser it. I weighed up the possibility of being crushed under the wheels of a few dozen impatient commuters and rode on.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...wrIkoqHCPK1y453otS7fQ!2e0!3e11!7i16384!8i8192
I'd have had that - one of the many advantages of being on a bike - nothing to stop you making a second pass. It's probably in the river now.

Venod

Eh up
I pick any coins up, money is for the pocket not the floor, there is always the thought that it may be superglued down, which was a popular trick at one time, glue 50p in the precinct and sit and watch people try to pick it up.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Some years ago in Greece I saw a euro on the floor, bent down to pick it up. Eh, its stuck to the floor ? And then immediately realised why, I nervously looked up but thankfully it was early in the day, I bet that would have got plenty of drunken jeers from the drunken patrons of the bar that stood just feet away.

I remember when I was about 5, helping(?) my Dad to lay a concrete path up to the house. Just by the front foor, he embedded a halfpenny in the aforementioned concrete.

I spent much of the following seven years trying unsuccessfully to liberate it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I found a quid right outside my front door the other day which was odd as I've not carried cash since the 'rona started. Must have been the postman or the Thai food delivery driver.
A quid is my limit on what I'll bend down to pick up, I'm not bothering with change.

The pub in Hardraw (near the force waterfall) used to do the old 50p glued to the floor wheeze when I was visiting in my teens, it got me then.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Remember long time ago collecting my car from the body shop and climbing up into their office up a flight of metal steps. They’d epoxied a pond coin onto one step and would laugh when someone tried to pick it.
Very dodgy outfit, the owner told me he started the business from the proceeds of robberies, mind it was south east London.

Last edited:
Top Bottom