What's the main considerations when you decide to cycling or driving to your destination?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

Distance/Time. Effectively location dictates that I drive.
Unless im going to the village shop or the pub.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Definitely how much time I have to get there and back.
What I have to take with me.
Who is coming with me.
What state of repair my bikes are in.

and yes: Distance and weather are factors too

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Distance, and route play a part and how much stuff I need to carry. Going for a major Christmas shop session is a pain on the bike because I start having to carry the weight and bulk of a pannier with me (which isn't even empty for putting things in, where as going to the supermarket I can put it in the trolley.

If I want to look nice and dress in a skirt/dress then many of those aren't suitable for cycling in, certainly not any distance but I do have some nice outfits I can cycle in.

Sharky

Guru
Can't remember when I last used the bike to get from A to B.
All my rides nowadays are from A back to A and would avoid bad weather.

Mostly that I don't have a car.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Distance and what I want to carry, primarily. Not much point driving to anywhere in the nearest town otherwise because the bike is quicker and usually easier/cheaper to park.

Further away, folding bike and bus or train are sometimes better options than doing nothing but boring driving for an hour. Even when they're not, park and pedal can be better for towns and cities. I guess I'm wondering why the op seems to assume it's driving or cycling not both.

rivers

How far can I go?
Mainly weather. Most of the time I'll cycle from my house to the start point, but if it's pissing it down and I'm determined to go I'll pop the bike in the car.

Top Bottom