What's the main considerations when you decide to cycling or driving to your destination?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
If it's coming down stair rods, very icy, very windy, or when I'm on lates, the bike every time as trying to park a car @ work is a right pain - ! :rofl:

Rcyne

Regular
Sometimes I think we're pretty rubbish having only about 40 bike spaces for every 100 car spaces (and 40 well-spaced bike shopper spaces take about the area of 5 car spaces), then I read shoot like that... :grr:

I actually tweeted one of my local supermarkets about this a couple of days ago. They have over 400 car spaces and as far as I can tell, nowhere to lock a bike (unless you fashion one out of the bars where the trollies are kept). I asked them to consider putting in some options for bikes especially as the main road where the store is now has a cycle lane.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I actually tweeted one of my local supermarkets about this a couple of days ago. They have over 400 car spaces and as far as I can tell, nowhere to lock a bike (unless you fashion one out of the bars where the trollies are kept). I asked them to consider putting in some options for bikes especially as the main road where the store is now has a cycle lane.
"asked them to consider" - the Sgt Wilson approach to cycle parking. Sometimes that's all you've got, but cycle parking is legally required in my county by being a condition of planning permission (as long as the planning officer applies the policy :rolleyes: ), although most supermarkets built here recently have provided more, probably because bike parking racks are more profitable uses of the footprint than storing big metal boxes. Not the supermarkets starting T & A, which coincidentally are also the first letters of the company attitudes to cycling IMO, but the rest of them.

Sandra6

Veteran
Firstly how far it is and how quickly I need to get there and back again.
Then, what will I be doing when I get there - if I'm going to have too many drinks to be safe on the bike, or if I'm going to carry more than will fit on the bike.
Thirdly, will mr6 give me a lift?!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Every day.
I was slightly worried your two cases were frequent occurrences ;)

Julia9054

Guru
Disturbing premise here. If cycling or driving are the only options for a journey, then that means that if you don't cycle, then you have to drive.

It's that assumption that is crushing us under bitumen and metal and suffocating us with smog.
This is because outside of cities, public transport is abysmal. It is impossible for me to get public transport to work for instance

I take a car club vehicle if I cant do the jouney by bicycle. Usually the deciding factor is distance not weather, and loadcarrying beyond the load of my trailer.

subaqua

What’s the point
distance and amount of stuff to carry .

getting a bakfiets is not the answer as getting them on a train in the UK is a farking mare

[QUOTE 5064164, member: 9609"]Even though I walk or cycle every single day, and I do a lot of both - I always drive to where I am walking or cycling first, sometimes drive as little as a couple of miles. todays 40 mile cycle will involve driving 4 miles to where I want to start. Yesterdays hill walk involved a 12 mile round trip driving.[/QUOTE]
Where do you live?

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 15.59.12.jpg

Top Bottom