What's the main considerations when you decide to cycling or driving to your destination?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is because outside of cities, public transport is abysmal. It is impossible for me to get public transport to work for instance
Sure, not everyone has a public transport option. But (and I just googled this) more than 90% of the UK live in cities, most of us have options we should consider.

Ah, but I've just noticed, OP lives in LA. so having seen the documentary Speed, maybe I wouldn't use public transport there either.

Julia9054

Guru
It's often not just the availability of public transport but the quality. I live in a small North Yorkshire town deliberately chosen because it has a railway station. (I have a car but, for lots of reasons, dislike driving)
I have lots of friends in York but if we want to go out, my evening ends about 9.30pm. I travel regularly to Manchester (my kids both live there) and it doesn't seem to matter what time of day I get the train, the overcrowding is shocking. I swear I would be more comfortable sitting on the roof!
I have spent quite a bit of time in Germany who manage to do public transport efficiently, comfortably and cheaply.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's often not just the availability of public transport but the quality. I live in a small North Yorkshire town deliberately chosen because it has a railway station. (I have a car but, for lots of reasons, dislike driving)
I have lots of friends in York but if we want to go out, my evening ends about 9.30pm. I travel regularly to Manchester (my kids both live there) and it doesn't seem to matter what time of day I get the train, the overcrowding is shocking. I swear I would be more comfortable sitting on the roof!
I have spent quite a bit of time in Germany who manage to do public transport efficiently, comfortably and cheaply.
Switzerland is great for public transport too.

NickNick

I've pretty much always cycle these days since I got rid of the car and took the truck off the road, the alternative is the bus which takes 3x as long. Its amazing what you can lug around on a bike when you have no other options!!!

Colin_P

Guru
Mood, how far, is there anywhere safe to park it, time, can the bike carry back what I'm going for.

Generally <10 (there and back) miles 90% bike.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes. Only exception is ice.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Disturbing premise here. If cycling or driving are the only options for a journey, then that means that if you don't cycle, then you have to drive.

It's that assumption that is crushing us under bitumen and metal and suffocating us with smog.
As its under commuting for me bike or car are the only options , my workplace has no public transport links within a couple of miles, then its half an hour to local town then a transfer for another half hour to home .Taking into account waiting for links assuming they even run at work times your looking at maybe 2 hours to do what takes me on a bike 35 mins on a more direct route.

Top Bottom