What's the point of Dads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Dad's are great , my dad is great ok he is a pain at time but when you get to 93 you are allowed to be ^_^

He got me interested in Car's , motorsport , cycling and has given me loads of advice over the years along with objections .

I just hope my daughter feels the same about me .

Dad's are good

gbb

Legendary Member
My dad was absent for a good chunk of our childhood, RAF duties abroad but he always came back bearing gifts and gave us the best thing a dad could, his time. Time spent in the countryside, walking, exploring, wildlife watching...all the things I then spent doing with my kids, and the vindication it's the best thing you can give is my youngest son who always said he never wanted kids because he couldnt look after himself, let alone a child...he now gladly gives his time and love to his daughter, our grandaughter, in a way that makes me proud.
You dont need money and all the things it brings...you just need to give your time. The bond it brings is hard to beat.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad taught me to become a skilled engineer, taught me to drive, taught me basic boxing and self defence moves (the primary school bullying stopped instantly after that), never told me off when I put .303 rounds in the vice in his shed and lit them off with a hammer (my Mum delivered that particular rollicking), has given me some flying lessons, gave me a car, has lent me cash which he never accepted back in full (I did try) and he's a pretty good cook.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Soooo....im guessing you weren't close then?
There were many time when I knew he hated my, but the one I still remember like as it was yesterday, I won the apprentice of the year award and he refused to come, I was the only one who didn't have a parent with them, I was asked “don't you have a dad” I went to the toilets and cried.
I was given two trophy's one for the year and a smaller one to keep.
The following Monday I took both trophy's back to work and told them I didn't want them and the reason why, he kept the larger one and gave the smaller on back to me saying “ you won it, it's yours” I put it in the bin on the way out.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My old man was 43 when I was born and reaching my teenage years in the sixties the generation gap was so wide we were planets apart. He was of the time when you looked, dressed and thought like your father as soon as you left school. He couldn't understand the music, the fashions or hairstyles so we were never that close. Nevertheless he got me interested in motorcycles and cars, stood behind me when I was about four years old and let me pull the trigger on the pistol he was holding. We lived in Ireland then and gun ownership was not uncommon then, a throw back to the troubles and the civil war.

When I was at boarding school the other kids would get sent copies of the Beano or Dandy, I used to receive Guns & Ammo. He was a bit of a loner and not an affectionate type, but we got on ok. I was 24 when he died, had he lived longer I think I would have got to know him a lot better.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I only saw my dad at week ends as he worked away during the week to earn more money as he was the main bread winner, but he was a good dad. I have 4 brothers and he taught us all to respect everybody, regardless of colour or nationality, despite being tortured himself by the Gestapo in WW2. He was an ex-boxer but wouldn't let any of us take up boxing as he was aware of the dangers. He taught me to drive and was always there if I needed him. We never used the words " I love you " in our house and I still feel a bit uneasy today when I hear them said, but I know he loved us all.
He died in 1999 of enzheimer disease , age 78 and my mother in 2014, age 92 and I still miss them both. My dad's wish was to see the year 2000 but sadly, he passed away 9 months before the end of the year.

Top Bottom