What's the point of having lots of gears? (21, 24, 27, etc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i reckon it's all marketing, they have managed to sell people on that more gears is better so now if shimano can release a new 30 gear system they can rave about how much better it is than campagnolo's that only has 27 gears and then campag will make a new 33 gear system etc etc
Cheers Ed

Just as we moved from manual to auto transmission for cars, the desire to have smooth shift to accommodate varying terrain while maintaining cadence called for more gears. Shimano invention of indexing led to this progression. Its however good to see development work where numbers are being reduced and still maintain that smoothness.

screenman

Legendary Member
In auto boxes the numbers are going up. Seems odd a old guy like me who grew up with 3speed at best and rod brakes, would support more gear selection.

young Ed

Veteran
Just as we moved from manual to auto transmission for cars, the desire to have smooth shift to accommodate varying terrain while maintaining cadence called for more gears. Shimano invention of indexing led to this progression. Its however good to see development work where numbers are being reduced and still maintain that smoothness.
again many people may like automatic cars for there ease of driving and indexing gears similarly for their ease use but i will never have an automatic car as i just wouldn't trust it and especially when off road and logging etc and when towing heavy trailers

i admit though i do use indexing gears as i do like my modern shimano 105 :smile:
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
Although I drive a manual now, the next will likely be a 9 speed auto.

A lot of tractors now are auto I think, the Fendt having CVT I could be wrong.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
A lot of mountain bikers now use 1x9/10/11. Simply because huge range cassettes are available more readily with smaller gaps.

If your not a racer then the op's point is a very good one and maybe young ed's right.

sutts

I only ever use one chainring and I too have wondered why I have all of these gears! That said, I live in a flat part of the country and mounting a pavement is like a hill to me...:tongue:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect the sweet spot for tourers (rather than racers) is 5 to 7 gears, where there's a good range and the steps between gears aren't huge. More than that and you can waste effort searching for the "right" gear, or getting lost in the controls. Less than that and you don't have a great range, so have to choose between climbing/starting-power and cruising/top-speed

Even with 5, the chain is being flexed diagonally as you shift between rear cogs. The simple answer is a hub gear and thicker chain ;-)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Don't forget, with Campagnolo Ultrashift you can now shift multiple sprockets up and down, making your 11 speed cassette behave exactly like a 5 speed, for that retro feel. :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I suspect the sweet spot for tourers (rather than racers) is 5 to 7 gears, where there's a good range and the steps between gears aren't huge. More than that and you can waste effort searching for the "right" gear, or getting lost in the controls. Less than that and you don't have a great range, so have to choose between climbing/starting-power and cruising/top-speed

Even with 5, the chain is being flexed diagonally as you shift between rear cogs. The simple answer is a hub gear and thicker chain ;-)

Does anyone really search for the right gear?

I have two ranges of gears to choose from (46/34) - without any real thought I'll select the right chainring for the terrain. 46 for standard hilly and 34 for very hilly (not really any other choice where I live). On a 20-30 mile ride I'll maybe shift chainrings 2 or 3 times tops. So not much searching thought & effort required there.

Rest of the time I just zip up and down the cassette as required - again it's just a reflexive 'do' rather than thinking and searching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom