What's the point of having lots of gears? (21, 24, 27, etc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love it when people say that "it's not the number of gears that matters but the range!"

How on earth could you have a wide range of gears without having more than 3 of them!?!

As has been said multiple times already, having 20 or more gears means you have greater choice when it comes to differing elevation and/or wind conditions. More range surely equates to more gears?
Not necessary, as I have just pointed out.

How on earth could you have a wide range of gears without having more than 3 of them!?!
It's possible.
If my rear shifter cables freeze, which they have done in the past, then I'm left with only the 4 gears from the front which give me a range of 350%.
But then again my full range is around 3-4 time that of a standard bike at 1840%.

Yorksman

Commerically it is cheaper to produce and supply gears with a wide range even if the user only ever uses a portion of them. Different users in different terrains with different levels of fitness etc all could benefit from custom built gear systems, but the costs would be an awful lot more. So, we end up with stuff we don't need or use but in the long run, it is more affordable than having something to suit exactly.

bpsmith

Veteran
But I use all of my gears depending on the climb or head wind, etc.

So much nicer having a range of gears with only a single tooth change in size for the higher gears and only 2 teeth difference towards the lower gears. I can ride at my natural cadence no matter what then. Would be grinding or spinning too high without the choice that I have quite often.

Top Bottom