What's the point of having lots of gears? (21, 24, 27, etc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic, but having ridden a road bike for a few years, I feel incredibly ashamed to ask this, but quite often I hear people speaking about gears and they will say something like "He rides a 21/40" and I have literally no idea what they're talking about, I know it's something to do with the gears but I do not know what, could someone explain?

I may get shot down for this.

What I believe they are talking about is the teeth on the crank rings. The number of teeth on the crank rings and also the rear cassette make a huge difference to the bike.

Not correct.
Gear inches come from the Ordinary bike and is the based on diameter of the wheel.
So a 26" gear has the same size as a 26" wheel and will cover 26 x pi = 82" or almost 7' with one turn of the pedals.
The continental system is meters development and based on is how far you will go for one turn of the pedals.
ok I was 22/7 wrong distance wise, :thumbsup:

simongt

Guru
Some riders are easily seduced by the 'more gears, the more impressive the bike'. I don't buy into this idea although it appears to be the way some manufacturers are going. If you are using the bike in question for local riding, then you need a range, range not number, of gears to suit. If you're likely to travel and use said bike in different areas, e.g., Bath or the Peak District are very different to York or Cambridgeshire, then you'll need a wider range of gears. A lot also depends on the bike and its setup; light frame & fast tyres will obviously need fewer gears than mountain bike with 1.5" nobbies. And just to muddy the waters even further, there are some who prefer to push big ratios and others who prefer spinning smaller ratios. It's a very personal thing.

screenman

Legendary Member
I can do the same route 5 times and use different ratios on each ride. Wind we call it, sometimes 3mph and sometimes 30mph, sometimes coming from one direction another time the other, or even somewhere else. Seldom are 2 rides the same.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Wind...ohhhhh...colour me hateful.....I barstwead hate the furcoupling wind...here in County Durham I've been known on several occasions to have to use my gears to pedal DOWNHILL, cos of the buttocktruffilng cherfing wind. Think yourself lucky if you've only had to use gears to go uphill.....

Reactions: mjr

screenman

Legendary Member
Wind...ohhhhh...colour me hateful.....I barstwead hate the furcoupling wind...here in County Durham I've been known on several occasions to have to use my gears to pedal DOWNHILL, cos of the buttocktruffilng cherfing wind. Think yourself lucky if you've only had to use gears to go uphill.....

Hill. Come on you are going to have to remind me what they look like, all flat around here, well part from the Wolds that is, most people forget about them though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is that talking from 26 years experience of cycling and racing in Lincolnshire. I like the fact I have a good range of gears on all my bikes. The more gears the more efficient the engine can be, in variable conditions
You've misunderstood. I've edited my post to clarify. Sorry.. 15 years in Norfolk, comparing with 6 in Somerset at the foot of a 25% ifit matters.

screenman

Legendary Member
The reason as I have said before a big selection I'd useful, is if like me you ate best at say 88rpm, but you speed varies from 8mph up to say 35mph without a good selection there will be times when you are over or under geared

Your post is clearer now, close ratio but large range, is I feel best with.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The reason as I have said before a big selection I'd useful, is if like me you ate best at say 88rpm, but you speed varies from 8mph up to say 35mph without a good selection there will be times when you are over or under geared
Ha - I have done nearly 60 mph downhill round here, and been reduced to sub-2 mph on a few very steep climbs! I have triples on all my bikes and use all the 27 or 30 gears, and could do with a few more ... :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose at then end of the day we or at least a lot of us use our bikes in different ways. If I jot poodles to the shop I would use maybe a 3 speed, but seeing as my cycling is, how do I put it, sporting style then I will use what I consider the best tool for that job.

sutts

Slightly off topic, but having ridden a road bike for a few years, I feel incredibly ashamed to ask this, but quite often I hear people speaking about gears and they will say something like "He rides a 21/40" and I have literally no idea what they're talking about, I know it's something to do with the gears but I do not know what, could someone explain?

I shouldn't worry about it! I don't have a clue about 'cadence', 'gear ratios' or any of that stuff! I get on my bike and if it's too hard, I change down a gear, too easy, I change up a gear. I don't eat the right stuff, drink the right stuff, wear the right stuff...and I certainly don't do 'Strava' or any of that bullshit...but I do ride one hell of a lot of miles and I really enjoy it!! :tongue:

screenman

Legendary Member
I shouldn't worry about it! I don't have a clue about 'cadence', 'gear ratios' or any of that stuff! I get on my bike and if it's too hard, I change down a gear, too easy, I change up a gear. I don't eat the right stuff, drink the right stuff, wear the right stuff...and I certainly don't do 'Strava' or any of that bullshit...but I do ride one hell of a lot of miles and I really enjoy it!! :tongue:

I like a post like that, the only little thing that troubles me is, how do you know you would not enjoy it more with the added bits?

Top Bottom