What's the point of having lots of gears? (21, 24, 27, etc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sutts

I like a post like that, the only little thing that troubles me is, how do you know you would not enjoy it more with the added bits?

Fair point! Maybe I would enjoy it even more...but I guess I am happy doing what I do! I'm not anti-trying it though, so maybe I will start doing it all the right way!

Today, I was out on my bike in the freezing cold and pouring rain with my 'Next' fur lined boots on (covered over with plastic bags)...yet I did 32 miles, not another cyclist was seen for the entire duration of the ride...I have it going on, let me tell ya!:laugh:

bpsmith

Veteran
I love it when people say that "it's not the number of gears that matters but the range!"

How on earth could you have a wide range of gears without having more than 3 of them!?!

As has been said multiple times already, having 20 or more gears means you have greater choice when it comes to differing elevation and/or wind conditions. More range surely equates to more gears?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@bpsmith A 7 speed hub and a 3x9 derailleur will both give you about 300% range. The 3x9 will give you more choice within that range but it ain't a clear win.

A 3 speed hub will usually give you about 190% range which isn't much less than the 212% range of the old ten speed (2x5) bikes that we used to ride. Maybe not quite as flexible but rideable. When I was riding a ten speed, I used to have a few favourite gears that I used most of the time: didn't anyone else?

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
I think of Range as being choice rather than simply the difference between one ratio and another ratio. If range is simply the latter, then an 11 speed 11-28 cassette would only be as good as a 2 speed 11-28 cassette, taking physically impossible issues out of the equation.

Wide or close ratio, the number of gears may still be the same depending on upper and lower parameters.

Yes, you could have a wider ratio and have less gears between 2 points than a closer ratio range, but that leaves more gaps in your range of available gears.

bpsmith

Veteran
A range is the difference between the highest and lowest gears.
A range is also a number of items in any given set.

I shouldn't worry about it! I don't have a clue about 'cadence', 'gear ratios' or any of that stuff! I get on my bike and if it's too hard, I change down a gear, too easy, I change up a gear. I don't eat the right stuff, drink the right stuff, wear the right stuff...and I certainly don't do 'Strava' or any of that bullshit...but I do ride one hell of a lot of miles and I really enjoy it!! :tongue:
I do that B.S., though in all honest I am less keen on these days, I do keep meticulous records of my rides in my own database, but it only takes 5 mins or so, I just ride these days, 6-8,000 miles a year.

@Andy_R done that the having to cycle down hill bit.

Some riders are easily seduced by the 'more gears, the more impressive the bike'. I don't buy into this idea although it appears to be the way some manufacturers are going. If you are using the bike in question for local riding, then you need a range, range not number, of gears to suit. If you're likely to travel and use said bike in different areas, e.g., Bath or the Peak District are very different to York or Cambridgeshire, then you'll need a wider range of gears. A lot also depends on the bike and its setup; light frame & fast tyres will obviously need fewer gears than mountain bike with 1.5" nobbies. And just to muddy the waters even further, there are some who prefer to push big ratios and others who prefer spinning smaller ratios. It's a very personal thing.

Its not a matter of the more gears the more impressive the bike, I ride a Viking that I have upgraded from 21 to 30 (being a triple) like @ColinJ much prefer them to doubles. I can gear it to cover a good range with a very close group of ratios, this is what more gears is about not range, I could gear a 3x7 with the same range as 3x10 (triple and rear gears) but because of the extra 3 gears I can go 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25 instead of 12-14-16-18-20-23-25 for example both would have the same range but the extra gears help no so much in climbing as you have the same range but in the abilities to spin in whatever the conditions are, if you have never ridden a close grouped cassette I suggest you do as you wouldn't want to ride a compact double again.
As for manufactures introducing more gears the opposite is true, there a fewer triple on the market than there used to be as Shimano have dropped the triple option on all but the lower to mid range, my 105 is 3x10 the new is 2x11 with no triple option as yet.

Top Bottom