Whats the silliest cycling thing you have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hearing my front mudguard rubbing and noticing the bit that was causing it (the offside stay) I leant down and gave it a sideways yank to bend it away from the tyre.
It would have gone better had I not been riding at the time 🥴
😂

Dag Hammar

About 1967, heading off to the paper shop at 5 to 6 in the morning.
Pitch black in the winter and pouring with rain.
Thought it a good idea to tuck my head down as low as possible. After all, this was a familiar route as I covered it every morning.
It was the impact that brought the parked car to my attention.

Last edited:

Dag Hammar

No 2.
Had a fixed wheel bike in my teens.
First day with newly fitted metal toe clips and leather straps.
Brother says “ Make sure you reach down and release the straps before you stop”
Yeah, I remembered. Not.

Noticed a bar end plug was coming out whilst I was cycling along. Thought I'd just bash it in without stopping ..........
Mine is similar to this. Someone coming out of a car park pulled out right in front of me, had to swerve and slam on the brakes, then tried to chase them down to have a chat, they got through a light as it turned red, and I thumped my bars in frustration...

Badger_Boom

Über Member
In my teens chasing a mate down a steep local hill when he decided it might be wise to brake at the bottom. I didn't, and ploughed straight into him before bouncing off his back and luckily landing on the grass verge worryingly close to a lamp post. Apart from a few bruises I was fine, but I spectacularly bent both wheels and had to trudge home with my battered bike.

My attempt to straighten both wheels (after consulting Richards' Bicycle Book) were less than successful, and when my father decided it was time to let our LBS have a go they reported back that they were some of the worst they'd ever seen.

mustang1

Guru
Can't beat that! :eek:
Yeah I know right? It's like he's created the thread and ended the thread with the first post! :okay:

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I rode (with my wife) to my MIL’s garden house with a rucksack containing 12 x 0.5 litre bottles of beer on my back, at the very first short downhill bit I applied the front brake and immediately somersaulted over the handlebars …. not one of the bottles broke either but it was twitchy opening them !. My wife still tells people of my foolishness 20 years later …. I was hoping she’d forget :rolleyes:

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Yeah I know right? It's like he's created the thread and ended the thread with the first post! :okay:

Lol, not as bad as the cyclist that glued his feet to his shoes but good point mustang.

Think my silliest mistakes with cycling related matters is to say thats easy i will do it for you when another cyclist tells me about a problem.
Last time i ended up spending more than a full day removing a seat post from a bike that i thought would be easy and to an extent i was right about it being easy at least for the bikes owner, lesion learnt i never say any thing is easy now no mater how easy i think it may be?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Even though I know people did this [the lying down bit, not the riding care-free bit], I still struggle to actually believe it.

I've even seen videos - still don't believe it ... :headshake:
me and my brother used to do this when we were young (not the lying down bit). It must've been the summer we went to the pictures to watch Hooper, and decided we were going to be stuntmen when we grew up and began practicing straightaway. My brother's record was jumping 7 kids on a Grifter. It was only really the last few kids who had anything to worry about, but we did test runs using our wellies; 7 wellies = 7 kids... clear that a few times and nothing could go wrong :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Teenager, looked down at what gear I was in, crashed into the neighbour's new 928 ! Left a brake lever dent in it. I was mortified. Fortunately he worked in the trade and got it fixed.

Commuting home in the dark down a dark country lane, in the days lights weren't any good. Clipped the rear side of a dark car with my thigh and went flying. Oh my, that stung, just about rode the remaining 15 miles home. Couldn't walk the next day. No damage to the car, just a massive bruise on my thigh.

Top Bottom