Whats the silliest cycling thing you have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trusting to a set of Wonderlights ! (Remember them ?)

Not me but my daughter
At the time we lived at the top of a VERY steep short hill - straight down for 100 yards on a single track road - then 90 degrees right then immediatly 90 degrees left over a bridge - then 90 left again onto the wider approach road
We (well I) had carefull taught her to ride down the hill slowly with both brakes on quite hard - she was very good at doing it with no help
One time her Mum was sitting at the bottom of the hill and wanted me to go back up the hill to get something - my daughter came with me
While I was finding whatever it was she asked if she could go back to her Mum on her own -no problem - checked she was going to go SLOWLY!!

Hmmm - she didn't
thought she would go a bit faster and not use the brakes until the turn
Then got scared

then - as she explained after - with great logic - she 'decided' to close her eyes

Amazingly she got round both corners then hit a 4 foot high metal fence around a monument just over the bridge
By this time she must have opened her eyes because I could see the skid marks on the gravel

As far as I could tell she seemed to have gone right over the bars and cleared the whole corner of the fence and landed about 6 foot in front of her bike!!

No-one in the area had CCTV at the time - probably just as well.

bike was OK after a bit of straightening!

Top Bottom