Whats the silliest cycling thing you have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Even though I know people did this [the lying down bit, not the riding care-free bit], I still struggle to actually believe it.

I've even seen videos - still don't believe it ... :headshake:

Residential roads didn’t even have a fifth of the traffic back in the 70s. So you could set up a ramp and have fun without a car every other minute.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My other one was riding no handed on pavement on morning paper round. Talking to a mate. Someone had parked a car across pavement. Cue me flying across bonnet and rolling down other side. No harm done and carried on on our paper rounds, which split further down the road.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I found I had a front puncture before my five mile trip to work across west/central London. I fixed it in a hurry and set off.
Carrying the bike up the stairs to my office, the front wheel fell off. I had forgotten to do up the quick release skewer. It could have been interesting in rush hour traffic.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Did it have similar results to the Volkswagen driver who (allegedly) while driving along decided to right the VW logo in the centre of their steering wheel as they thought it was upside down?
IIRC, in the days before the safety measures of car keys incapable of being removed unless certain steps were taken by the driver, a BMW owner, whilst driving wanted something from the glove box, but found it locked. So he removed the key from the ignition, with the inevitable consequences of a locked steering.

The most memorable stupidity, was riding home from church one dark Sunday evening in the mid 1960s. Going as fast as I could along a long straight residential road, up one dropped kerb and down the next, in my own world. I failed to notice the car parked on the road. Hit its rear head on. Bent wheel, broken nose and black eyes.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Two spring to mind ...
1) As a student, stayed longer at the bar than I had intended ... needed to cycle home ... didn't have lights ... big hill down ... quiet place that time of night ... stuck to pavement, and ended up scraping most of the skin off my left arm as I slid alongside a large brick wall .
2) Returning a hired camper van to its home 35 miles away, I took my bike, so i could cycle home after dropping it off. I'd locked my bike to the rear rack, and.... forgot to bring my key ^_^ ... the owner was great about it, and we had a laff ... he dismantled the rack, and I cycled home with a large heavy D-lock clanking around the top tube :rolleyes:

Rode in to the back of a parked car last week.......
It's almost surprising how many people have done this! I know personally someone who broke their elbow quite badly ("it was foggy" apparently), and at least 1 UK time-trialist has died this way :-/

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's almost surprising how many people have done this! I know personally someone who broke their elbow quite badly ("it was foggy" apparently), and at least 1 UK time-trialist has died this way :-/
I know several who have done it. One broke an arm. Mine was only two weeks ago and still have a very bent finger! Giving it a week and then I'll see the GP.

I was nackered chasing another rider uphill, head down, bang. All my stupid fault.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Returning from work on a summer evening in 1982. Somewhere along West Heath Rd NW11 the Fire Brigade were attending a house fire. Appliance connected to a fire hydrant with canvas hose stretched across the road. Thinking is no more than an enlarged squishy garden hose I tried to ride over it at less than 90degrees. It was of course rock hard like a kerbstone.

Ended up on my back, head banged on road. Bit of concussion for several days. Intention of cycling to my parents' over a long weekend abandoned; drove instead.

Mid 1970's, aged about 10 or 11, mate had a crummy old bike, with long rear axle which allowed me to stand behind him as we went riding all over the place. However, we had neglected to remember that his front wheel was in the forks with no bolts/fixing, so, funnily enough, when he decided to attack a jump in the rear access (Oooh Matron) to our Dads' garages, we ended up faceplanting the tarmac....happy days.

My Dad, a racing cyclist born and bred, was not amused.

Top Bottom