What's the stupidest thing you've heard about bikes - by someone who should really know better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Why do us motorist's have to pay car tax through the nose for the upkeep of the road's those MAMIL's use to there heart's content without contributing a penny they need to be taxed and have registration numbers and made to wear hi-viz to stop them riding through red traffic light's and on the pavements one nearly knocked me down the other day doing 35 mph on the pavement outside my house and they look ridiculous in there lycra pretending they are in the tour des france's riding with they're mate's seventeen abreast blocking the roads from us who pay taxes for these road's so they can pretend their riding in the tour de france

snorri

Legendary Member
On a tour and was intending taking the train to Harwich from central London to catch the ferry but due to works related to the London 'limpics train services were disrupted so I decided to cycle part of the way at least until I came to a working train network. I was ill prepared for this, no map, and was asking directions towards Harwich.
One guy assured me that it would be impossible to cycle from London to Harwich as my tyres would be worn out long before I got there. I said I would deal with the tyre problem if or when it occurred but he simply refused to give directions for what he saw as an impossible journey.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Why do us motorist's have to pay car tax through the nose for the upkeep of the road's those MAMIL's use to there heart's content without contributing a penny they need to be taxed and have registration numbers and made to wear hi-viz to stop them riding through red traffic light's and on the pavements one nearly knocked me down the other day doing 35 mph on the pavement outside my house and they look ridiculous in there lycra pretending they are in the tour des france's riding with they're mate's seventeen abreast blocking the roads from us who pay taxes for these road's so they can pretend their riding in the tour de france
Sadly that's almost exactly the comments from the majority on a Facebook post some council somewhere had put up yesterday regarding a new cycle path. There are a worrying number of cyclist haters out there! :sad:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sadly that's almost exactly the comments from the majority on a Facebook post some council somewhere had put up yesterday regarding a new cycle path. There are a worrying number of cyclist haters out there! :sad:
Keep your friends close - but keep your enemies closer. Try reading the comments on cycling/bike-related stories on the Daily Heil's website to see just what they think of bikes, cyclists and cycle lanes. If you can stomach it, that is. You need to know just how much hostility you're likely to face out there.

Sharky

Guru
I get a lot of comments from fellow competors when they see what I am riding. A fixed gear bike for time trials. "it must have been hard into the wind tonight".
Usually these comments come from much younger riders using super aero machines, yet only beating me by a couple of minutes.

Fixed riders will know that riding into headwinds is often quicker than geared bikes.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I get a lot of comments from fellow competors when they see what I am riding. A fixed gear bike for time trials. "it must have been hard into the wind tonight".
Usually these comments come from much younger riders using super aero machines, yet only beating me by a couple of minutes.

Fixed riders will know that riding into headwinds is often quicker than geared bikes.
I was in a bike shop in Middlesbrough one day and a veteran cyclist came in with his fixie and the incredulous mechanic he'd gone to consult called all his mates over to look at it. The general thrust of questions he faced were along the lines of 'how do you rest your legs on long rides?' to which his answer was that he rests his legs when he gets home at the end of the ride.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Insurance. Don't forget the insurance!

C R

Guru
You forgot helmet's

T4tomo

Legendary Member
But it must be so hard with those little wheels.
I went past a bloke on hybrid on the last hill before on my commute back from the station on evening on my brommie, and called out a cheery hello, his response was "you're fecking joking showing me up on that thing!" i felt honour bound to slow up and explain that they are pretty efficient bike and probably lighter than his hybrid. I didn't like to say the legs make the most difference

roley poley

Über Member
so you can sharpen razor blades under that little cardboard pyramid ? why not store your bike under a bigger one? "Wow man you may be into something there".:wacko:

Top Bottom