What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On holiday at the moment. Would have cost about £50 return in petrol in my Yeti.
EV is doing it for about £2.50.
Charged fully at home to get here and charged at the holiday cottage for free.
Every little counts !

chris-suffolk

Is that because it’s a hybrid? Presumably depends how/where driven?

I'm guessing a Hybrid only wins out on short journeys where it can manage on electric. As soon as the battery is flat, and it needs to use the engine (generally petrol) it's very unlikely to be much better than any other similar size car. Given that 95% of my journeys are 30 miles+ (which is about the range of the average hybrid) and 75% of my journeys are 150+ (way over any hybrid), then hybrid is a long way off for me.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And all that time, the treasury is making more and more on fuel taxes.

Not necessarily - fuel duty is a set amount per litre and this was reduced by 5p a month or so ago. Therefore if people are buying less fuel the amount of duty paid isn't as much. Where the Treasury will gain is on the VAT element.

Another 1p per litre added at my benchmark fuel station overnight so only 0.1p to go before the £2 per litre is reached.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Are hybrids really worth it? When running on electric they loose efficience by having to carry around the weight of the internal combustion engine & liquid fuel and when running on the ICE they have the added weight of the batteries & electric motors to carry.

Are hybrids really worth it? When running on electric they loose efficience by having to carry around the weight of the internal combustion engine & liquid fuel and when running on the ICE they have the added weight of the batteries & electric motors to carry.

Depends on use and exactly what kind of hybrid it is.

There was a Fiat 500 that was described as a hybrid as it had an extra 12v battery to set it in motion after every stop. Had no noticeable effect on MPG.

If you can charge at home I'd just get the EV.

classic33

Leg End Member
Aren’t we all meant to be rushing out to buy electric cars though :whistle:
Electric is getting dear these days.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Depends on use and exactly what kind of hybrid it is.

There was a Fiat 500 that was described as a hybrid as it had an extra 12v battery to set it in motion after every stop. Had no noticeable effect on MPG.

If you can charge at home I'd just get the EV.

I'm thinking of the PHEV sort of thing like we have at work as pool cars - Hyundai Ioniqs. Goodness knows how much extra weight is added and boot space lost to the weight & bulk of the batteries & electric motors just to add 30 miles of electric range when fully charged.

Chislenko

Veteran
Fuel price protests starting in North Wales this weekend. Slow moving convoys on A55.

I'm almost certain the last fuel price protests was also started by a chap from North Wales who I think went on to be an MP.

D

Deleted member 26715

On holiday at the moment. Would have cost about £50 return in petrol in my Yeti.
EV is doing it for about £2.50.
Charged fully at home to get here and charged at the holiday cottage for free.
Every little counts !

But you can buy a lot of £2 per litre diesel for the £30-60K that it cost you to buy the EV in the first place, I think you're comparing apples & pears, not everybody can go out & buy an EV let alone have somewhere to charge it at home.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My workplace has up to 30 of those pesky e-scooters outside. I'm surprised no one has been injured when the shifts turn over at 06:00 14:00 & 22:00.
Blasted things are flying around the car park like Tie Fighters!

I make sure I don't clock off at 22:00!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My £30k petrol/electric Honda hybrid's returning only a few more mpg than the ancient Peugeot Tepee it replaced. They're not as efficient as promised.

It's taken me a while to get the MPG up in my hybrid Honda Jazz. Yesterday's 240-odd miles averaged around 74mpg. B Mode all the time, thus saving on the braking, gentle acceleration, ignore the cruise control. But I'm also quite comfortable rolling along at truck speed.

Top Bottom