What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Second hand EV two years old. 17k.
Mate paid more for a two year old Mini.

Why is it that EVs always get priced up and nobody uses a Range Rover as the standard price of ICE vehicles ?

I’ve posted elsewhere on this but my oldest priced up a pug 208 . ICE one was £10k cheaper than the EV version ?! The Second hand car market is also nuts right now . A lot of people just sticking with what they have ! Overall cost is possibly cheaper than trading in and financing ?!

D

Deleted member 26715

Why is it that EVs always get priced up and nobody uses a Range Rover as the standard price of ICE vehicles ?

Because the car manufacturers are having our pants down with their pricing structure. My neighbour went out 2 weeks ago with the intention of buying an EV she came back with a Cupra 1.5 petrol wanted the EV version but it was 40% more.

Personally I wouldn't pay £17k for a brand new car let alone one that was 2 years old EV or not. That's over 3/4 of a years pay for me, if you've got that much spare cash to throw at a residual asset then that's good, I have other priorities.

Mike_P

Guru
IME, albeit last tried 9 years ago, potentially best time to buy new is in the last few days of a month when the dealership is wanting to boost its monthly sales figures; whether that extends to selling EVs rather than ICEs at or near cost price is however probably questionable.

Chislenko

Veteran
I just have better things to do with my time than sit in a motorway service station for 1 hour 55 minutes (make sure you get out before 2 hours or the fine will follow)

And then 100 mile later I would probably have to go through it all again!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
IME, albeit last tried 9 years ago, potentially best time to buy new is in the last few days of a month when the dealership is wanting to boost its monthly sales figures; whether that extends to selling EVs rather than ICEs at or near cost price is however probably questionable.

Between Christmas and New Year is the time to get a cracking deal. Wages and overheads still have to be paid and there is F-all coming in.

I just have better things to do with my time than sit in a motorway service station for 1 hour 55 minutes (make sure you get out before 2 hours or the fine will follow)

And then 100 mile later I would probably have to go through it all again!!

Ok let's say your car does 3 miles per kWh.
(I think my car does 4 miles or so but let's give you the benefit of the doubt)
So you're after about 33kwh.

My local Instavolt station has 50kwh chargers so you're looking at about 40 minutes to charge. Not one hour and 55.

Faster chargers are available and spreading rapidly.

Instavolt also have 120kwh chargers so less than 20 minutes for your 100 miles or so.

We do more than the average mileage but needing to charge away from home is only a few times a year.

D

Deleted member 26715

True but many can. There's plenty of EVs that are cheaper than petrol cars.

True but many can't. There's even more petrol cars that are cheaper then EV's even a reasonably spec'd petrol will be cheaper than the most basic EV.

I'm not knocking your life choices but you appear to be in a position the vast majority are not, like it or not EV is not an option for the majority of people in the UK & I suspect across the world.

True but many can't. There's even more petrol cars that are cheaper then EV's even a reasonably spec'd petrol will be cheaper than the most basic EV.

I'm not knocking your life choices but you appear to be in a position the vast majority are not, like it or not EV is not an option for the majority of people in the UK & I suspect across the world.

Across the world (luckily) the vast majority of people don't even have cars. Just over a billion vehicles for 7 billion people. First world problems eh ?

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Taking one of the mass manufcturers who offer similar versions of a model in petrol & electric vehicles at random - Peugeot and the 208 version
This is the price list online for the new version of the 208GT with the electric being just a tad under £7500 more expensive than the more powerfull petrol version.
1656276043351.png

There's a similar problem with the used option - again for the 208GT and both cars picked at random from main dealer stock and both from January 2020 with the petrol version being £6000 cheaper than the electric version. Until this price differential changes, there's little chance of the electric vehicle being the first choice for most car buyers.

Last edited:
Lets compare apples with apples. I'd be interested in some like for like cars (i.e. same model and spec) where the EV is cheaper than the petrol (or diesel) version. How many fingers (and toes) will I need - if any??

That's not what I said.

There's a very nice Ferrari parked round here that Google tells me costs over 200k.
I guess he's not that bothered about his petrol bill somehow.

Taking one of the mass manufcturers who offer similar versions of a model in petrol & electric vehicles at random - Peugeot and the 208 version
This is the price list online for the new version of the 208GT with the electric being just a tad under £7500 more expensive than the more powerfull petrol version.
View attachment 650659
There's a similar problem with the used option - again for the 208GT and both cars picked at random from main dealer stock and both from January 2020 with the petrol version being £6000 cheaper than the electric version. Until this price differential changes, there's little chance of the electric vehicle being the first choice for most car buyers.

6000 difference is definitely substantial but you need to look at your use. If you do have to drive a fair few miles you could easily be saving £200 a month on fuel.
Less service costs. Less parts. You'd be quids in in under three years.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
6000 difference is definitely substantial but you need to look at your use. If you do have to drive a fair few miles you could easily be saving £200 a month on fuel.
Less service costs. Less parts. You'd be quids in in under three years.

IF you can find the extra £6000 to start with that is. And have access to off road parking. And can afford to have the home charger fitted.

Edited with some figures...
£6000 is approximately 3000 litres of petrol at current costs or about 660 gallons which, at 40mpg, would take over 26,000 miles to recoup. During which time you'd have had to fully recharge the car 120 time (Peugeot estimate the fully charged range at 220 miles) at whatever that would cost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom