What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
We visited Dufftown a few years ago - Dufftown by name and nature!
A dour depressed and depressing place.

We were staying in Aberlour actually and I thought it was nice, only visited Dufftown briefly.

One of my most difficult shifts on a bike was the section between Dufftown and Tomintoul. Unusually for us it was sweltering and I hadn't drunk enough, had to take off my helmet and hang it over my handlebars. Packed after I got to Tomintoul.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For the first time that I can remember in a long while, the diesel & petrol prices were the same (£1.499 per litre) at my local filling station.

gbb

Legendary Member
Locally, 3 price increases in 4 or 5 days, was 1.45 ltr, 2 days later 1.49, today 1.53 for E10.
Luckily i filled up with E5 at 1.65 ltr early this week, depread to think what it is niw.
140 mile round trip today saw a return of 51mpg from a 2 ltr Mazda, driven steadily. Very little traffic out there, A1 was quiet, A617 Mansfield go Newark, most of the time there were NO vehicles in front or behind me for as far as i could see either way, (barring a couple roundabouts at main road intersections) never had that before.
A1, ive seen more traffic on it at 2am, its really biting perhaps.

Mike_P

Guru
Locally there is at least 12p a litre variation in E10 prices, Morrisons seeming to be the least expensive at 155.7 this morning although it was 152.9 when I put 25 litres in on Thursday.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Locally E10 has jumped from 149.9 ppl 2 weeks ago to 162.9 now.
I was in Ayr on Friday and saw E10 for sale in a Shell station at 174.9 ppl. Two miles along the same road, in Prestwick, a BP station were selling same grade for 153.9 ppl.. Which makes me think these price rises are not all down to increases in the price of oil. Some people are just greedy, profiteering bassas.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was out for a 20 mile cycle earlier and it was very noticeable that the roads were a lot quieter than a usual Sunday afternoon here. Being by the sea with pubs, chip shops, and ice cream vendors, we are usually overrun with Sunday afternoon dawdlers, but not today. Weather isn't great either, but that doesn't normally deter them.

gbb

Legendary Member
50% increase since the low in 2020. HM Treasury coining it.
Coining it in every which way.
E10, less mpg, costs you more to do the same.
People like me, switched to E5, cost more. Win win, let alone the prices rising we're seeing at the mo.

Im not one given to conspiracy theories but ...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Filled the tank up yesterday , it was half empty and still put close to £50 in, i used to get a good 3/4 of a tank for that amount .Determined to cycle to work tomorrow as we really need to start being careful.
Locally it was 1.55-1.60 a litre at the supermarkets
On a similar vein got an email from energy provider telling me to put up the direct debit so i added £40 a month to it for now , i did check for a better tariff on the site out of interest and they said im on the best one currently but the alternative " green " one they wanted over £300 a month ! which is close to 3 times what mine is currently

According to the RAC ....
1647254348411.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Went down to out local garage for petrol for a lawnmower @ 164.9p.
There is only one pump for diesel and one for petrol. None of your fancy stuff here.

I remember being warned by a garage manager I knew not to ever take on a filling station business as the fuel companies fixed their prices according to turnover and if you sold more then your price went up. Basically you were on a wage as they allowed you to make a certain amount of profit but the only way you could get more was to have another sideline like a shop where they did not know how much your turnover was.
Profiteering is not so much by the retailer but the the wholesale distributer.

Top Bottom