What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
If people drank more whiskey they'd be too drunk to drive which would lead to reduced traffic congestion, less accidents and less pollution :idea:

GilesM

Legendary Member
Blended is for Lowland Scottish wino's and french polishers.

Oh, in this Lowland we have Glenkinchie, excellent stuff.

People shouldn't knock the high petrol prices and those who still buy it, when Rishi is counting the money the fuel duty and the related VAT increase will be most welcome, and remember, as more people use plug in cars we'll have to find a few new ways to raise cash. Cheap electric motoring isn't here to stay.

Nebulous

Guru
We visited Dufftown recently and I saw the claim that with 7 distilleries it submits more money to the treasury per head of population than anywhere else in the UK.

I also saw someone quote his father:-

The Lord's my shepherd, I'll not want,
as long as there's whisky in Glen Grant,
and when it's done and there's no more,
I'll cross the hill to Cragganmore.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The only sweet one I like is Glenlivet.

Glenlivet French Oak 15 is rather good, and not silly money - maybe forty odd quid

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
We visited Dufftown recently and I saw the claim that with 7 distilleries it submits more money to the treasury per head of population than anywhere else in the UK.

We visited Dufftown a few years ago - Dufftown by name and nature!
A dour depressed and depressing place.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The 10 obviously. A real gem.

The Select is rather poor however. I bought a bottle thinking it was a bargain for Laphroig, then discovered it wasn't the same stuff. The 10 is as good as ever and still reasonable money, and on one occasion less than the "Select" though may have been a mix up.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Stocked up on Lagavoulin 16 (a long time favourite) a few weeks back. There seemed to have been a shortage as it was out of stock in the supermarkets for a bit and up to 60 or even 70 quid to order online. Back in Waitrose for sub £50 which is pretty good value for a top tipple at 16 years old.

Another Islay one I can't quite decide on is Ardbeg Wee Beastie; a 5 year old. It a bit cheaper (baring silly shortage based pricing) than their standard, and very good 10, but is different rather than per se worse. I'm glad to have it for an occasional variation but I'd not want to pay more than maybe £35 for it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The new Dacia cars can now run on dual fuel, LPG and petrol. LPG is 40% cheaper than petrol.With both fuels on board, the range can be 800 miles. worth considering.

gbb

Legendary Member
E10 is £1.44 litre at my local garage.
97/98 Ron- E5 is £1.49 litre
12 years ago'ish , normal unleaded got to £1.43, oil was over 100 dollars a barrel iirc. I have not seen how much it is lately.

Top Bottom