What's worse than crashing on an icy road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Having a mate behind you with a bloody camera at the time.....

crash1.png

crash2.png

Looks even more impressive on the full video .....
Especially as he then turns round to show the 40+ other people following me all slow safely to a stop, rather than riding over me :smile:

Fortunately, other than a bruised leg and a torn hood cover both the bike and I are OK.

Awww, ya tease.... post the full video?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ooo tight clips? This is why I prefer flats if there is chance of ice, at least you can do the leg out motocross thing.

Glad your ok and the bikes not too badly damaged, Oof just imagine if a car was close behind...:eek:

Sara_H

Guru
Oooochie! Are you ok?

I've had my ice spikes on since mid November but not yet had occasion to use bike on ice - pooping myself at the thought!

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ooo tight clips? This is why I prefer flats if there is chance of ice, at least you can do the leg out motocross thing.

Glad your ok and the bikes not too badly damaged, Oof just imagine if a car was close behind...:eek:

Fortunately the clips released OK. The second shot is actually just as I hit the deck, and I think the clips had already let go, just my feet had yet to come off the pedal. The vid shows me and the bike parting ways after a short slide.

Don't think the leg-out business would have helped TBH. I was on the front of a pack of riders, came round the corner and saw the ice shine.
I knew I was going too fast (and already in the corner) to do much about it other than yell "Careful" and then fall with as much style as possible :smile:

Fortunately the remainder of the Audax was a bit warmer, and incident free..... if you ignore the punctures, detours across ploughed fields, and watching @Steve H try and eat his own weight in Mickey D's :smile:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Can't believe I didn't suss Mickey D's was Maccy D's....I thought it was some sort of sweets...DoH!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At least when you fall on ice, you tend to slide without getting road rash burns! I crashed 3 times on ice in one MTB ride and only experienced a few bruises - no cuts or road rash. (It still put me off riding in icy conditions though!)

eck

Über Member
In an elegant display of synchronised sliding, a mate and I came off this morning on the same patch of black ice at a T junction. Luckily no damage to us or bikes, except I discovered a nice patch of road-rash on my hip when I turned the shower on. Ooyah! Could have been much worse.

Top Bottom