Whats Wrong With Me Getting Cramp all the Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

I realise i should probably just google cramp but.
The last couple of rides ive done ive suffered very badly from cramp from about 3/4 distance on 60 and 80 mile journies. Yesterday i did 60 miles drank 2 litres of lucozade and 400grammes of pasta at half way but still suffered quite debilitating cramp from about 3/4 distance to home. I was aware of achy legs but it was only when i pulled over for a breather and put my feet down that both legs disintegrated on me - lucky i wasnt on the road cos i was literally frozen in pain. From that point on any slight pressure on the muscles seemed to bring about crampy sensations.
I dont understand it as ive done similar distances before with no problems.
Im on a 26inch mountain bike if that makes any difference.

As much as I like Pasta, perhaps you should try something a bit lighter. Another idea, is your lucozade fizzy, flat is better IMO and when you drink did you take a lot in one go, sips are better IMO.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I realise i should probably just google cramp but.
The last couple of rides ive done ive suffered very badly from cramp from about 3/4 distance on 60 and 80 mile journies. Yesterday i did 60 miles drank 2 litres of lucozade and 400grammes of pasta at half way but still suffered quite debilitating cramp from about 3/4 distance to home. I was aware of achy legs but it was only when i pulled over for a breather and put my feet down that both legs disintegrated on me - lucky i wasnt on the road cos i was literally frozen in pain. From that point on any slight pressure on the muscles seemed to bring about crampy sensations.
I dont understand it as ive done similar distances before with no problems.
Im on a 26inch mountain bike if that makes any difference.

I would try altering your position slightly, on my last touring bike at about the 50 mile mark I could feel the front of my right thigh getting ready to cramp and any sudden movment or effort would cause it to do so. On my new bik,e 50,60,80, 120 miles nothing...

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

As much as I like Pasta, perhaps you should try something a bit lighter. Another idea, is your lucozade fizzy, flat is better IMO and when you drink did you take a lot in one go, sips are better IMO.

This is actually my first time with pasta specifically intended to offset the cramp. Yes fizzy lucozade but not all one go , rather regular 10 gulpfulls.
I will try something other than pasta i think.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

I would try altering your position slightly, on my last touring bike at about the 50 mile mark I could feel the front of my right thigh getting ready to cramp and any sudden movment or effort would cause it to do so. On my new bik,e 50,60,80, 120 miles nothing...
The twitchy thighs is what im getting.
Im thinking my seat height is about right. Given that the other adjustables are seat position forwards or backwards and handlebar position. What alteration in body position did you find helped you. Thanks btw.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
The twitchy thighs is what im getting.
Im thinking my seat height is about right. Given that the other adjustables are seat position forwards or backwards and handlebar position. What alteration in body position did you find helped you. Thanks btw.

Well the new bike is a larger frame so I'm more stretched out than I was, so maybe you want to try sliding your seat back ?

father ted

Lack of food on the ride or food before, getting dehydrated is a big cause, also your position on the bike. Until recently I suffered with my left thigh on the back end of long rides. After going for a bike fit it turns out my left knee bends inwards causing an extra strain, all a result of torn ligaments. So I now do specific exercises and having a better position on the bike has eradicated the issue.

Zoiders

Salt.

A packet of salted crisps will do, that should see the cramps off.

After 2 litres of bog standard lucozade you may have washed all the electrolytes out of your system by sweating. I would also exercise caution about caining that much plain old Lucozade in one ride, people have had seizures from over doing the glucose drinks or dextrose tablets, 2 litres of fizzy Lucozade in 60 miles is not good at all IMHO.

Half water/half electrolyte drink would be safer.

lukesdad

Cramp even now is not fully understood why it occurs. In my lifetime Ive ridden just short of 400,000 miles. I still get it occaisonally. My bikes are set up perfectly. I drink the right ammount, and salt levels are good. Who knows ?

IMO its simply putting the muscles beyond something they maybe used to doing recently.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Salt.

A packet of salted crisps will do, that should see the cramps off.

After 2 litres of bog standard lucozade you may have washed all the electrolytes out of your system by sweating. I would also exercise caution about caining that much plain old Lucozade in one ride, people have had seizures from over doing the glucose drinks or dextrose tablets, 2 litres of fizzy Lucozade in 60 miles is not good at all IMHO.

Half water/half electrolyte drink would be safer.

Interesting , thanks for the info.
The crisps will be an absoute pleasure to incorporate and i will investigate the electrolyte drinks.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Cramp even now is not fully understood why it occurs. In my lifetime Ive ridden just short of 400,000 miles. I still get it occaisonally. My bikes are set up perfectly. I drink the right ammount, and salt levels are good. Who knows ?

IMO its simply putting the muscles beyond something they maybe used to doing recently.

Yes i sometimes wake up with cramp. The cycling cramp is a more recent phenomena though for me, ive adopted the ploy of pretending to be making an urgent phone call at the side of the road till the paralysing pain passes.

mr Mag00

rising member
i think all above encompasses it all, strenuous exercise and loss of salts all add to cramp, banana are supposed to be good too and i to eat salted crisps on long 80+ miles rides

Cubist

Still wavin'
Fluids, and electrolyte. Try High 5 Zeros, (no sugars, all the salts you'll need, pleasant flavour in a bottle of barley water or squash)

Fiona N

Veteran
Goodness - still the same of b*****ks re: cramps :whistle: (1)

Studies of cramping and not cramping athletes in the same events have shown that there is no difference in the electrolyte content/ratio/any other measurable parameter between the groups. For most athletes and cyclists, the biggest cause of cramps seems to be lack of conditioning - i.e. you went out and did more / went harder than you were trained to do.

So just gt out there and get the miles in, OK :biggrin:

Occasionally and particularly for some specific people, they are neurological indications for some types of cramps and it may be possible to prevent these by means of odd exercises (and I mean odd - there's one for specific toe cramps where you twist your foot to one side, flex the big toe up and the other toes down before repeating by twisting the foot in the opposite direction and flexing the big toe down and the other toes up. Most people I know don't have that sort of muscular control :wacko:)

(1) Apologies Lukesdad - you hit the nail on the head :hello:

Top Bottom