What's wrong with your bike right now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yours is worse than mine, which makes me feel better :tongue: :

• The magnesium Carrera Virago needs a bit of touch-up paint, new bar tape [edit: now done], different wheelset fitting once the current wheels are really broken and that's about it.
  • The Secteur needs new bar tape and some touch-up paint.
  • I need to build the Eastway R4.0 by October for winter commuting, with all parts collected. No pressure there then :okay:
  • The GT Timberline has a slow puncture. Which will have to wait until the autumn when I put knobblies on the current wheelset using and the Schwalbe Hurricanes on the replacement 'nice' set I've bought.
Otherwise they're all running fine for once.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing wrong. MTB still needs to be put into summer mode though.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Raleigh could do with the headset looking at as the locknut keeps coming loose.
Cannondale running sweet as a nut (touch wood!) as it gets weekly tlc.:wub:

KneesUp

Guru
Blimey - mine's relatively good!
  • bar tape only on one side as I decided I didn't like where the interrupter brakes were after I'd done one. Months later I've not moved the levers or put tape on the other side
  • brake blocks haven't got much life left, but they're ok for now
  • back wheel used to creak under lots of load. Now creaks pretty much all the time. It's either the hub or the spokes rubbing, but I've not investigate
  • scratches and so on, but it is an old bike - there is no rust anymore
I don't know how you ride with no brakes - I had an "oh lordy - I forgot to reconnect the straddle cable when I put the wheel on" moment at the bottom of a hill today and that was exciting enough. I couldn't cope with that sort of excitement every day :smile:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Le Pug has a clicking when I'm powering up hills. She has had a new un55 SqT bottom bracket plus cranks, pedals and cleats have to checked but it's still there.

The other proble is that I've got shiney bike envy as there are plenty of new bikes in the club. I'm trying to justify a new project or even a bike purchase but I keep putting off. Even the Shifter conversion, claris components and R500 wheelset with granny gears hasn't done it for me

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Threadbare cloth bartape, kink in front rim, very worn chainring, nose of saddle broken off (got some Sugru for that), rusty SPDs.

jhawk

Veteran
The Touring Bike:

Needs a new rear spindle, but I can't seem to figure out what size, or where I'd find it locally. (the nearest LBS to me is an hour away and we're vehicle-less at the moment). :sad: (If anyone can offer any advice, feel free!)

Aside from that, going to strip out the dynamo and get a new taillight for it. (I could re-purpose the dynamo I suppose, but not sure what I'd need to re-charge while riding.

That, and I need to mount the new stuff to it - bike computer, light,pump, etc.

The MTB:

The front chainring is fooked, one of the rings is best and so I'm only operating on the one gear at the moment.
It keeps squeaking as I'm riding, I'm thinking it needs some lubrication on either the crankset, or the cassette and chain - or just lubricate the entire damn thing.

So, all in all, not that much wrong with either bike. Just needs a bit of TLC and a part or two.

jhawk

Veteran
Oh, yes, and a really big part of me wants to buy new hybrid or road tyres and wheels for the MTB, if it'll take them... Because I'm mainly riding on the roads around town and it's just so slow.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
My rear tyre needs a fettle (Put a new pair of tyres on my road bike yesterday and went out for my usual 20`ish mile bimble. It wasn`t until I got home that I noticed that i`d put the rear one on back to front :blush:).

Pic taken of the rear from the port side...
Picture 527.jpg

Hip Priest

Veteran
The nice bike is perfectly clean and in full working order. The workhorse needs the gear cable tightening, but the barrel-adjuster on the rear mech has seized following winter, so I've been riding it for about 2 weeks with dodgy gears. I'll eventually get round to unseizing it somehow.

U

User33236

The commuter:

1. Only a month or so old. Just needs a quarter just on the RD adjuster.
The 'good' bike:

1. In need of a wash after yesterday's Velothon Wales
2. See above

The hybrid:

1. Minor issue with left hand shifter that needs looking at but nothing urgent.

Mrs SG's bike?

That's her problem surely? Lol

New tandem has gears that jump, slip, change randomly, don't change at all ... all a bit sad :sad:

HA! Same for our tandem - but I'm halfway through changing the whole (almost) caboodle. cassette done, 11/34 mega on now! :smile:, 2 new C/rs to go on later this week, and a new Shimano cable too!

Hopefully some great improvements for less than a monkey :smile:

si_c

Guru
Not too much, the left crank bolt keeps coming undone on the Pug, need some threadlock and/or a better socket set :biggrin: Headset is a little loose, only finger tightened it as I had left my big wrench at my Dad's house, he's been away for a couple of weeks, so just been tightening it up by hand before each ride :biggrin: Perhaps not the safest thing as I noticed a bit of wobble on my ride home this evening.

Otherwise all running good.

Top Bottom