What's wrong with your bike right now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Nothing wrong with my bike as such but its been bodged a bit:
  • I did a piss poor job of wrapping the handlebars and now its starting to show
  • Both shifters bent and scratched after my off but still work after fettling
  • Rear derailleur bashed and scraped to hell but still shifts fine after fettling
  • Rear tyre has a few splits but still going after a thousand miles or so, new tyres are on standby in the shed
  • Bottom bracket has been on its way out about 100 miles after I bought the bike but still going.
  • Front wheel could do with truing a little but only about 1mm
  • Rear light bracket is held on with electrical tape
  • Brakes could do to be brought closer to the rim
  • It needs a bloody good clean/oil and grease which will be Fridays job

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The pedals on my Defy have seized in, I have wrapped the joints with cloth, poured PlusGas on & left them overnight, but still cannot shift them. I will try heating the cranks with a hairdryer shortly. I'd like to strip & regrease the pedals after the winter's ravages but that will have to wait.

I hope/think that is about it - apart from being due a general clean & polish. I'm doing a 16km road race on Friday so it'll get a bit of TLC on Thursday evening.

Exile

More little niggles which haven't niggled quite enough to get fixed yet, although

Front brake was dragging lightly something, now it's got to the point I'm almost ready to see what's wrong.
Rear brake need pads changing soonish, not a lot of bite left. Front were recently changed so there's that
Rear light needs new batteries before the dark commutes return
Big ring is warped somewhat, giving an annoying rub in all but the hardest gear
Stem bolts are rusting, so need to get some stainless ones to replace them
In fact, a lot of bolts are rusting
Saddle seems to be trying to cut me in two, so probably time to get one that's comfortable for more than twenty minutes

Other than that, and the general lubing and tightening of parts which should and should not move respectively, the 'cross bike is in good condition. The hybrid, I'm not so sure about. it rode fine the last time I used it, but that was almost six months ago and I've not looked at it much since. Certainly haven't 'inspected' it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
rsz_p1020129[1].jpg

It's spotlessly clean. @ianrauk would be proud of me.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The rear mudguard on my Ridgeback has snapped, which explains the alarming rattling noise, and looks set to break again in another place. Gaffa tape time, methinks. Though it's not quite a year old so I'm kind of hoping my LBS will be able to sort something with Ridgeback.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Seems like some people are too wrapped up in their quilt to do simple 5 minute jobs.
Your simple five minute fix is my "quite a bit longer than 5 min" fix! :whistle:

But I am feeling guilt tripped into looking into some jobs ... I think I need to stop with ordering a new mudguard..... the chain/chainrings/crank will require a whole new thread asking for help and then probably not for a few weeks to get the stuff and have the opportunity (and courage).

Hip Priest

Veteran
Seems like some people are too wrapped up in their quilt to do simple 5 minute jobs.

Seems like some people lack a sense of humour.

cd365

Guru
Had a noisy crank, so stripped it all down last night. re-greased and re-indexed my gears. It is now really quiet. Unless I'm out of my saddle going uphill, then I'm getting a clicking sound!
Oh and my headset won't tighten fully. Ordered some new spacers to see if that will help

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Basso has a dead bottom bracket. Worse than that - it turns out that the reason that the bike has bottom bracket problems is that the BB threads were somehow not cut correctly so BBs do not want to go in perpendicular to the frame. I have been forcing them in which puts pressure on the bearings and wears them out quicker. I can get away with doing it with heavy old sealed Veloce BBs, but my nice new lighter weightCentaur BB, he say 'NO'! The bearings grind as soon as I begin to tighten the BB cups.

The thng wrong with my usually fine-weather Cannondale is that it had to become my all-weather bike while the Basso is out of action. I do not like that because it is becoming less pristine by the week!

My mountain bike needs its disk brakes sorting out.

The problem with my new cyclocross bike is that it is still stuck in a cardboard bike box somewhere between Milton Keynes and here, but that problem will be rectified tomorrow! :okay:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've got a new fork for my winter bike to replace the failed one, the front wheel also had a cracked rim which needs replacing.

Front derailleur cable is frayed on my Giant Defy 2, also the chain is reaching the end of its life.

Tyres need replacing on my Tern folding bike.

Top Bottom