What's wrong with your bike right now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
The engine, or precisely....me

Chest, throat and urine infection has kept me off the bike this week. I'm back at work tomorrow but I'm not in any state for exercise of any kind. It's like listening to a 90 year,old smoker with 1/2 lung

mustang1

Legendary Member
Chain suck.
Gear indexing could be a touch better. Need new rear brake pads soon.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Bottom bracket removed, awaiting new one.
Brakes and wheels all removed and cleaned. Rear tyre replaced.
Frame and parts all scrubbed clean awaiting rebuild on Wednesday, will be as good as new for Thursdays commute :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A few of mine are suffering severe 'been shut in the shed for ages' syndrome due to my broken leg over 18 months ago. (Please note that the trike is in tip-top nick though)
I hope to be back onto 2 wheels before the summer is out so I may have to do a bit of fettling on some of them. Luckily due to when I had the break (Nov) I'd cleaned and sprayed a couple of the 'summer only' bikes and stored them for the winter but they are not the ones I'd like to start riding again at first, the Worksop 531 Raleigh is a lovely handling and comfy bike but it is a bit 'hair trigger' in that unless you stay on the ball it will spit you off in a heartbeat (and has done a few times) and I'm not crawling along on the 653 TT bike.
I think my Ridgeback may need a total strip/clean/grease and re-cable, it definitely needs new headset bearings and could probably do with a chain as well and that is probably the one I'd like to start cycling again on (triple chainset for hills) :becool:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Hmpf. Bike now New gear. New brakes. I'm sub 14st forth first time since my teens. Great ride in today, controlled power to not sweat, easing off freewheeling into finsbury park and a delivery truck turned right into the garage right in front, anchors on, over the bars and under the truck. Nasty gash over the eye for four stitches, spannered right shoulder and neck and some bumps and scrapes and very happy that'd all it is. Copper insisted it was just an accident despite.my very angry argument . Bike seems to be ok. Day off tomorrow for sure
11390039_847822155299164_8472827485944617650_n.jpeg

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Damn, that's nasty, glad you're relatively ok. I always try to keep a bit of stopping distance for that very reason around town, never know what people are going to do

Get well soon... :B)

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Ouch! Hope the headache isn't too bad tomorrow.

My bike is really annoying me at the moment. The chain keeps un shipping itself from the jockey wheels. It mainly seems to be the lower one.

I thought I had cured it by buying new jockey wheels and having 40 trouble free miles at the weekend. I went out last night and it happened again. Only when in the small ring though.

More investigation required.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have decided checking for chain wear could be advisable after breaking one today.
tmp_11062-DSC_0529-1203089474.JPG
tmp_11062-IMG_20150630_1635142122167662.jpg

Still only soft tissue damage so could have been worse.

lee1980sim

Road bike... Chains going to need replacing soon
Hybrid... Bottom bracket bearings wearing (cartridge) and brakes need adjusting

But it's all good and they ride fine

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
morning all, felt awful when I woke up, lots sore and shuffling around but after an hour things have loosened up and taking off the A&E battlefield bandage I solemnly promised to keep on for seven days has raised the tone a lot

Off to the pharmacy for a big plaster
WIN_20150701_104214.JPG

As for stopping distance, I'm riding safer than I ever have, I had about 400m of stopping distance before the truck turned right across my path at which I suddenly had about 5m, there's very little you can do about something turning right through traffic, my lasy serious accident was the same and most of the near misses that make me angry are that, the others you can allow for, the right hand turn across you, not really

Last edited:

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Grips need replacing.
front tyre very bald.
rear wheel buckled.
rear wheel bearings need replacing.
Pedal bearings gone.
wont shift into 5th or 6th.
Rear brake just doesnt work.

Top Bottom