What's your 30 mile time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
If I had added a bit more to yesterdays ride it would have been about 1hour 40 minutes. When out on my own the average seems to be about 18mph nowadays.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Tuesday last week 30.79 miles with 2609' ascent in 2 hrs 6 mins. Route included just under a mile of rutted bridleway (thank god for 35mm chubby rubber).

Age 58 / quite fit hill-walker (not as in push a bike up a hill) / casual cyclist around 2000 miles pa / gets bored after a couple of hours on a bike. ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm fairly happy with it and I seem to be going the same as most average people..... Thing is I want to race so I'm slightly obsessed with getting faster to try some cat 4 before the end of the season

I think 'wanting to race' is a worthy ambition.

However, If you are serious I'd just concentrate on getting several thousand miles under your pedals first and then seeing how things stand then. Also try a few longer club runs when you are ready - that'll give you an idea of how you are coping. Don't be demoralised though if a few gnarly old chaps leave you for dead. :smile:

Even in the lower categories of cycle racing you may be surprised at how fit and how quick people are.

You may also find out whether your physiology is suited to racing - some people can ride for hours and hours over tough terrain but a 'racer' they ain't. Best parallel I can think of is decent joggers/runners who can complete a marathon in respectable time but who are no Mo Farah 2's!

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
I think 'wanting to race' is a worthy ambition.

However, If you are serious I'd just concentrate on getting several thousand miles under your pedals first and then seeing how things stand then. Also try a few longer club runs when you are ready - that'll give you an idea of how you are coping. Don't be demoralised though if a few gnarly old chaps leave you for dead. :smile:

Even in the lower categories of cycle racing you may be surprised at how fit and how quick people are.

You may also find out whether your physiology is suited to racing - some people can ride for hours and hours over tough terrain but a 'racer' they ain't. Best parallel I can think of is decent joggers/runners who can complete a marathon in respectable time but who are no Mo Farah 2's!

In all honesty I keep telling myself this but I can't help but wonder lol

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This is so true. If anything I am getting slower, but I still have good endurance and heaps of stubborness so I can plod on through bad weather and up pretty steep hills but will never win any races!

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
Ride more often, go faster. Join a club, you'll ride faster with others in a group. The chain gang will make you speed up :ohmy:

I think I'm too slow for that too :sad:

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
Clubs have a range of speeds, I'm sure there'd be a group that runs at 15mph with a no dropolicy. If you want to race, you'll have to ride in groups etc

There is but its not a chaingang. I assumed that it was more of a disorganised cluster of riders.

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
There is what? Clubs usually have a range of groups, from pootlers to chain gang racers

So there's a group for all ranges in the club 10-12 mph 12-14 mph all the way to a 18-20 mph chaingang.

The thing is I'm unsure if there's likely to be any benefit to me of riding with the pootlers as you put it and whether I should keep building on my base then get out with the faster groups and the chaingangs

vickster

Legendary Member
So there's a group for all ranges in the club 10-12 mph 12-14 mph all the way to a 18-20 mph chaingang.

The thing is I'm unsure if there's likely to be any benefit to me of riding with the pootlers as you put it and whether I should keep building on my base then get out with the faster groups and the chaingangs
Well it depends on the club, but that's my understanding with many. Where are you based, have you looked for ideas in the cycling club section for a local 'racing' club? If you average 15mph, you should be able to go at least a couple of mph faster. Go out with the group you think matches your speed, see how it goes for a couple of rides while you get used to group riding and step up if you need to. Depends on your timescale for getting into racing

Top Bottom