Whats your average speed over a ten mile time trial ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm wanting to do time trials more and more so just wondered whats the average speed expected ?

There is no expected speed, just do your best and try to beat your best time every TT you do.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
20 mph is probably a reasonable aim. But there's no benchmark as such, there are riders who regularly ride my local evening 10 who average below this.

ayceejay

Guru
A regular here, jowwy is a relative newcomer to TT he has a dedicated TT bike and has a PB over 10 miles of 26 minutes which is just over 23 mph.
I would say that 30 minutes (20 mph) would be the benchmark and the UK record is around 18 minutes.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Does depend on the course tho', if your local course was some sort of sporting hilly monstrosity then 20 mph might not be a reasonable aim. I was thinking of flattish out and back type courses. Often local clubs post times on their websites (although a lot of it is done through Facebook now) so you can check the sorts of times riders are doing on particular courses.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess I have a bit of winter training to do then . 19MPH seems to be where I am stuck but that's over just under 7 miles . I bet the last three miles are the worst :laugh:
19 is going for it but never really in any of that pain thing you lot seem to do .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Does depend on the course tho', if your local course was some sort of sporting hilly monstrosity then 20 mph might not be a reasonable aim. I was thinking of flattish out and back type courses. Often local clubs post times on their websites (although a lot of it is done through Facebook now) so you can check the sorts of times riders are doing on particular courses.
I understand the course can change times . What I was after was , if i'm doing 19mph and everyone is doing 35 mph then I'm out . It seems I am getting close to ok ish so its worth the extra effort to get better and give it a go .

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Don'y know how old you are, but there are time standards for veterans over the age of 40; mine is 27.04 at the age of 54 ( a tad over 22mph for ten miles). I can get below this quite comfortably, so I think the time's are quite achievable if you're fit and willing to put in a little training.

Can't provide a link on my iPod, but if you type in Veterans Time Trial Association you'll get the info.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Don'y know how old you are, but there are time standards for veterans over the age of 40; mine is 27.04 at the age of 54 ( a tad over 22mph for ten miles). I can get below this quite comfortably, so I think the time's are quite achievable if you're fit and willing to put in a little training.

Can't provide a link on my iPod, but if you type in Veterans Time Trial Association you'll get the info.
41 and a bloody veteran ! :angry:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I guess I have a bit of winter training to do then . 19MPH seems to be where I am stuck but that's over just under 7 miles . I bet the last three miles are the worst :laugh:
19 is going for it but never really in any of that pain thing you lot seem to do .

19 mph in training would, in my experience, translate to between 20-1mph under proper race conditions.

Sharky

Guru

Don't worry about not achieving 20mph when training. When it comes to a proper time trial, on a proper course and no extra weight, you just go 3 to 4 mph faster than your training times. But 20mph is difficult to achieve initially, but once you have mastered the last 3 miles, you'll crack it every time.

Here's some times on the Grain course
http://www.gravesendcc.org.uk/tens/Tens.htm

Cheers Keith
(102)

Last edited:
Top Bottom