Whats your average speed over a ten mile time trial ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I seem to be a good deal slower than most here!

My best effort so far is 10 miles (with 464ft of climbing) in 32:30ish - a rather paltry 18.5mph! I would love to break the 30:00 barrier just once, but can't see it happening any time soon.

I think I will stick to longer rides with lots of breaks for flapjacks :smile:
Your not far off 30 ! You'll be surprised how soon you can get it to under 30 if you keep trying :okay:

ChrisEyles

Guru
When the days get longer and I can fit in a 10 mile bonus ride on the way back from work, I'll have another crack at it. I can definitely see how it could get addictive!

Sharky

Guru
When the days get longer and I can fit in a 10 mile bonus ride on the way back from work, I'll have another crack at it. I can definitely see how it could get addictive!

Try and get a ride in a proper 10 mile time trial event. You'll be surprised how much quicker you will go in an organised event.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I think there is a monthly local 10 mile TT around, and I have been faintly tempted... but my wife says the local cycling club take themselves far too seriously and she fears for my sanity if I join them - which I think might be a hint!

Sharky

Guru
I think there is a monthly local 10 mile TT around, and I have been faintly tempted... but my wife says the local cycling club take themselves far too seriously and she fears for my sanity if I join them - which I think might be a hint!

Don't understand what your wife means. I've only been time trialling for 48 years and it hasn't affected me? It's what all 65 yr olds do isn't it?

Go on - join a club. You will enjoy it.

Cheers Keith

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Even if they do take themselves too seriously (whatever that means) what has that got to do with your performance in a time trial?

I seem to be a good deal slower than most here!

My best effort so far is 10 miles (with 464ft of climbing) in 32:30ish - a rather paltry 18.5mph! I would love to break the 30:00 barrier just once, but can't see it happening any time soon.

I think I will stick to longer rides with lots of breaks for flapjacks :smile:
I only did one hilly TT (561ft) before I moved to the flatlands, I snuck in just below 30minutes, only to upload the garmin and find out it was only a 9.8miles course :laugh: Keep at you'll break that barrier :okay:

Some do, some don't you'll never find out unless you give it a try and besides you are only really comparing your own rides, go for it :okay:
My first TT here I was a couple of seconds behind another rider, he said 'we'd be competing against each other all season', lol the next week he was over a minute faster; he'd got all serious and bought a TT bike and aero helmet. I've stuck with my ordinary road bike, although I have got a wee bit serious from that need for speed and got clip on tri bars :laugh:

ChrisEyles

Guru
The objection to cycling clubs is my wife's, not mine... unfortunately she has experienced a few incidents of inconsiderate behaviour from "serious" looking cyclists and is not keen on me joining their (perceived) ranks. The idea of me spending yet more time on the bike and out the house might have something to do with it too!

I'm planning on sneaking in the odd 10 miler on the (scenic!) route back from work, and seeing if I can get anywhere near that magic 30 minutes this Summer. Maybe choosing a flatter route would help..... ;)

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If youre close to the time on that route then I would stick with it as your major goal . You can pick a flat route and do it but that's the easy way .
My main aim is to get around Richmond Park in under 20 mins . Its just under 7 miles and fairly hilly but I have it down to 21.12 (I think )
That's down from @26 mins

Sharky

Guru
@Cuchilo - fair point - I'm also sticking to my non-aero gear and 1960s ten speed, which will make the goal even sweeter if I get to it ;)
My best times have all been done on 1960's 10 speeds, mind you it was in 1969.

For a true comparable test - the 10 miles has to start and finish at the same point to even out gradients and winds.
But for self comparisons, any timed distance over any course is a really good incentive and indication of how fit you are.
Keep it up - you might even get the bug to join a club.
Cheers Keith

iggibizzle

Had a go on a local circuit course last night. windy but where I would have benefitted from the tail wind it was sheltered. Where it was a 20mph+ side or headwind, I was totally exposed! Start at the bottom of a hill and finish at the top of one. Still managed 31mins tho. Last few miles were pretty gruesome into that wind!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Had another crack at my 10 mile out and back route today :smile: Managed a new PB of 31:09, which I'm really happy with, especially since it was quite windy this morning. I think I'm going to struggle to shave more time off though, I managed to judge it so my tank was pretty empty by the end!
Again you will be surprised how much time you can shave off just by riding more . Ive just got back from a 10 mile practice run and have shaved a few minutes of my last time . Having said that there are times when no matter how hard you try you cant get anywhere near your PB and that's just bloody annoying and seems to last for ever :angry:

Top Bottom